Common Tread

Investcorp buys 80 percent of dainese for $162 million

Nov 05, 2014

Dainese was founded in 1972 by Lino Dainese. He began by making protective gear for bicyclists but, as an avid motorcyclist, it quickly turned into gear for motorcyclists. 

Today, Dainese is one of the most well respected brands in motorcycle protective apparel, and has protected the world's best riders, from Giacomo Agostini to Valentino Rossi.

Well, it's been a good week for Mr. Dainese, who just sold 80 percent of his company to a private equity firm called Investcorp for $162 million, while retaining the other 20 percent.

Lino Dainese.
Company founder Lino Dainese. Dainese photo.

“It was hugely important to us to find the right partner in this period of strong development for the company. I believe that Investcorp’s proven track record, global presence and network will support the Company’s continued international expansion and product innovation. I also believe that their support will enable me to refocus on my passion, driving forward technological advances in our product line and, in particular, the D-Air® system.” said Dainese.

Investcorp's head of European corporate investment team, Hazem ben-Gacem said, "Dainese is an iconic brand with a track record of leadership in a multibillion dollar market. It is exactly the type of company we look to invest in: a founder managed successful business looking for a partner for the next phase of growth. We look forward to working in partnership with the current management team, and Mr. Dainese, to consolidate Dainese’s deserved reputation as an innovator and to strive to increase its penetration into new markets."

With such a massive investment, it looks like Dainese have plenty of resources to do exactly that. With Alpinestars launching its own street-ready airbag system this week, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.