Alpinestars TZ-1 Reload Leather Jacket
Good Investment (Though it's being discontinued...)
This jacket looks great, fits well, and is comfortable both on and off the bike. The perforated leather provides good airflow, the elbow and shoulder armor add confidence and mold well to the body. The included chest/back armor is cheap (I upgraded to A* Nucleon, definitely worth the investment...). Overall, I'm happy with this purchase.
April 8, 2016
Did a fair amount of research on street jackets before finally pulling the trigger on this one. What personally made me choose this over the other 50 jackets I looked at:
- Airflow (nice for SoCal weather, although in winter you can still fit a hoodie underneath)
- Quality! leather (returned another jacket as it didn't compare)
- Chest protection (most street jackets lack this)
- Looks (aggressive yet stylish and not over the top "track" looking)
- Overall protection (great mindset when riding as you can just feel Alpinestars quality protecting)
- Comfort (even with the chest/back protection in, you won't be able to tell it's there)
Sizing: Eu 50/US 40; 5'10 170lbs
The Eu 50 fits me like a glove (you don't want baggy). Be sure and take all measurements as recommended by Revzilla and then match to the sizing chart.
When you get the jacket, you'll be able to tell you made the right choice if the shoulder and elbow armor line up with your actual bones. I was right on the cusp of a Eu 52, but knew the larger size meant it would be too baggy.
Alpinestars Nucleon KR-Ci Chest Protector Inserts (medium)
Alpinestars Nucleon KR-2i Back Protector Insert (medium)
You must replace the foam inserts that come in the jacket; they are merely placeholders for the upgraded armor.
I hope this helps someone making a decision if this jacket is in the lineup. You won't regret this purchase.
January 12, 2016
I bought this jacket because I wanted a hi-viz jacket that I could wear at night. Lucky for me, this jacket turned out to be an awesome purchase. I'm currently stationed in the South and during the hot summer days it breaths as good as it can for a full leather jacket. And during the coldish winter months it keeps me warm enough to get where I'm going.
November 30, 2015
This jacket is awesome, both in its looks (if you care about that sort of stuff, I get compliments on it all the time) and in functionality. Fit a little snug at first, but after break in it's perfect. I'm 6' with a 42" chest 180 Lbs and I got the US 42 size. It does have a slight awkwardness to its proportions (or maybe it's just me) that my measurements bounced all over the place for sizing between MD and XL. But you have to get what fits your chest area and make compromises elsewhere in the fit if necessary. In my case the sleeve length is two inches or so short (nothing a 3/4 or full gauntlet can't take care of) and the waist is a little loose (wait, what's that? It has waist adjusters? That takes care of that then)
Airflow and comfort are fantastic. I've worn it from temps in the mid 50's to 105 now (yes it gets warm at stops) and it hasn't let me down. It is warm even while moving when temps get that high simply because the air itself is just plain hot, but the simple fact that air can actually flow helps mitigate higher temps a little.
Protection in the right places, but I can't attest to its performance in that regard as of yet.
Only gripe is that the price point for the tech included when compared to the other A* jackets, puts it just a tad high in my opinion. If either the price were a little lower or the included features were a little better, then this jacket would be a no-brainer home run.
If you do decide to bite the bullet and purchase this jacket (you should!), I would like to recommend getting the back insert like I did. It's better than the foam by light-years (as long as it performs as advertised) and once it conforms to your shape you don't even know it's there. For those possibly wondering at this point, no the slight snug fit in the beginning was not because of the insert. I recently purchased it, but have had the jacket for about 5 months now.
August 20, 2015
Great jacket for summer. Good protection but no tall sizes
This jacket is a great value for the protection it offers. You can wear leather and stay comfortable when moving while the temperature is 90-100 degrees. I'm 6'2'', 200lbs with a 44" chest and 36" arm in a dress shirt, and 34" waist. The 54 arms were just too short with a few inches of forearm showing when my arms were on the bars. I had to upsize to get the arm length I needed. Because of this, the waist is bulky and the jacket is not as tapered and sleek as it looks in the video above. For those who are lengthy and thin, it may not look sleek. For more average proportions it will probably fit perfect.
The jacket is very comfortable and gives me a good sense of protection when I'm in the canyons on a hot day. The materials are impressively dense and appear hard wearing. 4 months of use and no issues. There's a reason why this product has been around so long. 4 stars because it doesn't have tall and short sizing flexibility and I would prefer heavy metal zippers instead of heavy plastic zippers.
August 16, 2015
Worth Every Penny...and then some
To any would-be buyers of this jacket looking at it primarily from a protection standpoint or just wondering how it would hold up in a spill, I give you my experience as a testament to the jacket's proven reliability and sturdiness. After riding in this jacket for no less than 6 days a week during the spring, summer, and fall seasons for a year and a half, my recklessness finally caught up to me when I went down hard in a turn going 90 (that's not a type-o or a point of pride). While my helmet secured my life this jacket played its part as well by safeguarding me from even the smallest of scratches, which is to say that my torso was left untouched. The shoulder and elbow protection that comes stock with this jacket fulfilled their intended purpose to perfection, leaving my body as it was before I went down and slammed around and slid down the road.
Should you mind the protection features of this jacket? Not one bit. It has been crash tested and proven at the hands of my reckless abandon and has flawlessly stood up to the challenge. If you choose to not buy this jacket, you will do so on the grounds of style as opposed to its protective virtues.
Yes, I'm getting this jacket again.
June 13, 2015
Great Jacket: Protection, Airflow, Looks
1. In a 'minor' ~25 mph crash the Alpinestars TZ Perforated jacket saved my skin and bones. My elbow, forearm, shoulder (and a little back) all hit the pavement and are completely fine. It was a pretty hard hit and slide (25 mph is kinda fast when you hit asphalt). Buy the CE back protector, you don't feel it and it doesn't cut down the airflow. May be it saved my back. (Fyi I was in France on a rented BMW for the mishap.)
So, it protects in a 'slow speed' mishap. For me it's a daily jacket spring, summer for street riding. At track speeds, I wear this jacket, haven't tested it and hope I don't.
2. Good looks. I got the black, 'murdered out' color. I'm over 50 yrs, so fashion is not high priority. But It looks good to me, and folks remark on its clean look. Particularly women. Which is good.
I ride a Harley Dyna and the jacket fits in at the biker places. It is nice to fit in at some of these joints.
3. Fit. I'm 5'10, 185 lbs, muscular and the the Euro 54 size is perfect. When I first put it on I thought it was too tight, because I'd never had track-inspired jacket. Within about 5 - 6 hours of use it just became a perfect fit. There was a subtle break in, the leather became a bit softer, a had a slight give. I could probably wear a 52 Euro, but why? The comfort of the 54 is perfect and the airflow is good.
4. I've worn the jacket for 3 months, maybe 300 - 400 miles in weather from 50s to 80s. The light leather and perforation let a lot of air in once you're over 30 mph. I wear it up to ~ 80 degrees and it's fine. At a stop light the black leather does soak in the sun's heat, however. I switch to mesh with armor at 80 degrees +.
No concerns. Buy it for a great all-around spring-summer leather: Excellent protective jacket with good airflow and good looks.
Don't buy if a. looking for heavy protection exclusively for the track or b. if you hate the slim-ish Euro fit.
June 8, 2015
Good casual jacket
Looks great on and off the bike. Definitely a looser cut than most A* leather. The liner, imo, could be better quality. It's not that it tears, it just doesn't feel like it should at this price point.
Very comfy walking around. Doesn't really do much in the way of keeping your warm while riding, but it's a vented summer jacket. The airflow is insane! Which is a double edge sword if you live in a dynamic climate area. Has the zip to attach to pants, although I can't see taking it to the track.
All in all a good buy.
June 4, 2015