Rukka Merlin Leather Jacket
Expensive but fantastic
I have done one ride so far with this jacket...25 degrees F in Milwaukee. I usually wear a perf'ed leather jacket with many layers underneath including a FreezeOut layer. With this jacket, I can just wear a Tshirt and FreezeOut layer and while I'm not warm when riding, I am comfortable. As stated in another review, the jacket get cooler in the bend of your arm due to venting.
As for looks, the jacket is top notch. I don't even mind the white embroidered logo on the back. As for fit, this is where I differ from previous riders. I'm 5'9 190# with long arms. With my alpine star jacket, I wore a size 58. For this jacket, I measured my arms and chest and ended up going with what the sizing chart recommended...a 56. Luckily, it fit perfectly. Zipper was not hard to operate as other reviews have stated.
I put the upgraded D30 armor in the back, chest and elbows and the jacket still fits reasonably well (the D30 is markedly thicker than the stock jacket armor). I can't comment on durability yet as I've only put about 30 miles on this jacket but I am pleased so far.
The obvious drawback is price...if you can afford it I think this jacket is a reasonable investment.
March 2, 2015
Great Jacket, & delivered promptly by Revzilla
This jacket is good for temperatures down to around 40F, below this the venting under arms and elbows will get a bit cool but can be dealt with using another layer.
I expect that the venting will allow use up to 70F maybe 80F, but I have not tested this yet.
The jacket should be good for Spring and Fall months and while relatively light gives good protection from the armor and leather.
November 17, 2014
I am very pleased with this item.
I went with the fitting chart on Revzilla and received a perfect fit on the first order. I'm 6' tall, 180lbs and ordered a size 50. I have very long arms and the sleeves went all the way to my wrist as the should. The style and look of the item is great. I can't say much for protection for I haven't crashed and I hope I don't although the leather is thick and very heavy. I feel safe in it. I recommend this product to anyone willing to shell out the money for it.
November 3, 2014
very stylish jacket
first fitment.. I am 6' 195 with a 40 1/2" chest and 34" waist.
Watched the video that had suggested to get a one size smaller that what you would normally get...so I went with a 48.
Mistake! way too small.Though I think that assessment would have been true when the video was first made but the 2014 batch of Merlins runs true to size I think...a size 52 fit me. Shoulders and arm length and circumference was just right though the waist was a tad loose..I like a form fit....but not a deal breaker.
I love the style and had just the right amount of logos and reflective embellishments to make it look "cool" and not overwhelming or busy. The constructions seems solid and the leather feels like quality.
This is just the first assessment and will have to report later as to the functionality of the weatherproofing and durability of this jacket. I thought this initial report would help those folks who was wondering about sizing. As far as "bang for the buck"...well my thought was...instead of getting 2 or 3 good jackets, I would just get one "really good one", one that I would "go to" every time. You guys know the feeling, that one jacket that you would choose constantly, and the other jackets just stay in the closet collecting dust..wasted dollars.
Just deny yourself 2 Starbuck drinks and 2 Mondo Burgers per week and you'll pay it off in no time!
March 11, 2014
Rukka Merlin Jacket
Great fit, style, & function. I like the armor. I can barely tell it's there which is nice for a long day in the saddle. I have no report on the waterproofing yet but I'm thinking it's gonna be excellent.
January 29, 2014
This jacket is PRICEY ($$$$$)for what's offered.
First off, I'd like to thank the Revzilla team for their SUPERIOR customer service-these folks are "The BEST in the Biz!"
The Rukka Merlin Jacket:
1. DAMNED this thing looks GOOD!!!! I almost hated to part with it, due to it just being a SLEEK and SEXY thing of beauty-DAMNED it looks SOOooooooo GOOD...
2. I ordered a size 56 and normally wear a 43/44 chest. It was a bit big, I think you might want to go down a size. The sleeves are PERFECT for any type of glove fitting under the cuff,but a gauntlet will not fit over it. I tried several type-NO GO!
3. This Jacket is made in Vietnam,NOT in Finland or Portugal. I also own two other suits, which are also made in Vietnam. The two are virtually IDENTICAL,but HALF the price as the Merlin.
4. The Rukka Merlin is a fall/winter jacket to me, and that's due-in-part to the cores lack of perforation/ventilation. In temps above 80F and in stop-n-go traffic you'll bake.
5. The liner is cheap and flimsy for a jacket at this price range.
In the winter,IMHO you'll FREEZE your buns off without a heated vest. The 'Neck Gaiter' is a cute idea,but it's flimsy also.
6. The Armor isn't as BEEFY as I thought it would be,especially at this end of the price spectrum.
7. This jacket isn't very functional to me,due to it's wacky zip-from-the-left zipper system.You actually have to focus on lining it all up(Red-inner/Black-outer)or it's easy to start them(zippers) off-track. The zippers throughout this jacket and on the 'Neck Gaiter' are really a disappointment. I think that may be to me having something to compare it to that's half the price. The zippers on my other suit are FAR more superior IMO. This is a TRUE 'Deal Breaker' for me.
I expected MUCH more in the 'Quality' and 'Functionality' department from a jacket at this end of the price spectrum.Not worth the money to me.
June 10, 2013
The best touring gear
Yes, it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. It is head and shoulders above anything I have used from Dainese or Rev It.
I bought the jacket and pants last year and love it more every day. I have ridden through downpours and below freezing temperatures for long periods. It is great.
Waterproof, super comfortable, and versatile. I have gone from 25-85 degrees over the course of a day and never felt ill equipped.
The jacket gets a lot of compliements - it looks tailored. Fit is true to size. I have a 44-46 chest with broad shoulders and went with the 56. No regrets.
I have a 35 waist and went with the 52 pants and have plenty of waist if the holidays take their toll. Inseam is 34 and the length is great.
I also have their summer gear and love it for extreme texas heat.
December 19, 2012