Schuberth SR1 Stealth Helmet
Best I have ever had
Love this helmet. The size large SR1 was actually ordered for a friend at my recommendation. I have had mine for a bit over a year so this review is based on it. The helmet is a little tight to get on and off but it fits like a glove and feels perfect once on. This helmet replaced an Arai Corsair which I thought was a great helmet - this one blows it away! It is a bit lighter but most importantly it must cut through the air better. Normally at the end of a ride my neck is sore. Last summer I took a 12,639 mile trip out west and never had a sore neck at the end of the day even in the high winds I sometime experienced. Also love the ease of changing the shield between clear and tinted. The bike I ride is a Suzuki Hayabusa.
June 21, 2016
Definitely on the heavy side compared to Arai or Shoei. Fit is good. Plastic ventilation on helmet broke when I tried to open/close. Suggesting that you make another purchase.
June 21, 2016
I cannot think of enough synonyms for "amazing" when describing this helmet.
- Fit and finish. The first thing you notice is how well made this helmet is. Nothing is half assed, everything is tight. This is a really nice change coming from a rattle-y HJC
- Weight. It is definitely a noticeably light helmet. It's not carbon or anything, but light. I hear the Euro version is really light though... thanks DOT :(
- Vents. It doesn't have many, but boy do they work! The front vent is adjustable between chin venting or cheek venting. Normally, I think "selectable" vents are kind of a gimmick. However, Schuberth really delivers; you can feel a big difference when you hit the switch.
- Seal of visor. Seem like a small issue, but when you close the visor, there are NO leaks. Again, nice change from HJC.
- Ear holes. Same as the vents, the open/close sound holes at the ear actually work. Open is nice around town for hearing traffic and such. Closed is perfect on the highway. (note: I ride with ear plugs).
- Spoiler. I thought this was a gimmick of the highest order... but those German engineers don't mess around! The stability of this helmet at speed is mindblowing. It makes my bike feel slow again. In the up position, my head felt like it was on rails while sitting upright on my FZ09. In the down down position, the stable point is tilted up for sport bikes. I tried it out on my buddies CBR600RR and definitely didn't hit triple digits with zero wind buffeting... that would be illegal.
- Glasses/sunglasses fit very comfortably into the pads. Those Germans really think of everything.
- The pads are very tight. It gets a little uncomfortable after a few hours, but hopefully it breaks in. It feels very secure thought...
- This helmet is round, not oval. If you have a narrow head and buy this, you will be sad.
- None. This helmet is exceptional.
June 28, 2016
Was sent a broken helmet
The quality control on the helmet that I received was seriously lacking. The back, right vent in the rear exhaust was loose (not even fastened at all), and the front chin vent was broken.
This is my first experience with Schuberth. Rather than go through the Revzilla return process I'm going to try reaching out to Schuberth as suggested by the rep on the phone. Anyway, extremely unhappy with the purchase and I wish revzilla would let me exchange it in the store (I purchased online) for a different one.
June 24, 2016
A quality helmet!
Schuberth makes a quality helmet. I have a C3 Pro in XL which is a perfect fit when riding my cruisers, but buffets a bit at higher speeds on my CBR. An SR1 to replace my aging Shoei RF-1000 (also in XL) seemed like a logical choice, especially with a closeout price! So I bought the SR1 in white/black in XL, and it was so tight I could barely get in on and off, and could only wear it for a few minutes at a time because of pressure on my forehead. I considered exchanging it for a 2 XL, but wore it around the house and for short rides to gradually "break it in". So far it's become much more comfortable, but after 30 minutes or so I have to admit I'm glad to take it off. I'm sure this will improve as I wear it more.
The overall quality of the helmet is outstanding. It's very light and well constructed. Airflow is excellent-you can actually feel it when at speed. It's definitely more noisy then the C3 Pro, but not excessively so. There's no buffeting to speak of at high speeds on my sportbike. The visual field is excellent, and seems much better than on the Shoei. Oddly, the protective pads that go under the chin and over the chin straps don't overlap or even meet, although there's no chafing or irritation in that area.
The helmet ships with a clear faceshield. I wanted to replace it with the Iridium mirror shield, but apparently this item is out of stock everywhere here in the US. I finally ordered the Blue mirror shield, which looks bada$$ on the helmet, but is almost too dark, and certainly not for use at night.
I hope I never have the opportunity to see just how effectively the SR1 protects, but it seems to be a quality piece of protective gear. I didn't give it 5 stars because it's still a little too snug, but when/if that changes, I'll edit my review
June 21, 2016
Great Value - Boy is it narrow
When I saw that the S2 was reduced in price I wanted to get one, then found out they only had 3XL. I was trolling around and waiting for something to happen and bam, got an email for a reduced SR1 for 549. I could not resist it. I bought a Large size helmet. Boy is it narrow. But once you put it on, it fits perfectly. No hot spots that I can see of so far. Only had a few short rides so far. So as some have mentioned it is a little awkward to put it on and take out. But I suspect that might get a little easier as time goes on. However I am not sure how long the pads will suffer that level of compression. Will see. The visibility is awesome. So wide and peripheral vision is just fantastic. The noise level is more than I anticipated. However I will play with the cushions and see if I can turn the listening ports down. May be that might help. But for the price there is no comparison. Its light, great vision and comfortable. The only negative I can think of is that the helmet is difficult to put on and get off. Probably one of the nicest helmets I have owned. I am sure the C3 is more comfortable and less noisy. But if you want a light helmet that is really aerodynamic and no buffeting, this seems a great option. And for the price, I don't see any competition.
June 3, 2016
All others are obsilete
Looks- awesome. I got the gloss black, no fancy logo. But still looks awesome.
Aerodynamics- They weren't kidding, NO BUFFETING OR LIFT! The rear spoiler helps a lot and is adjustable. Very cool.
Airflow- Awesome. You really feel it around your head and has tons of vents you can open and close. Here in cali i leave all of them open.
VIsion- Great. I thought the lens was up while i was riding. Nope, it is just that clear.
Sound- It is actually quieter than my shoei. Suprising.
Fit- Very tight at first, once you get your head in there, don't worry about it falling out, it wont. Once your noggin is inside, it is comfy. I am looking forward to breaking this helmet in for sure.
Weight- Wow, less than i expected, way less. Awesome.
There is also a warranty of you crash, schuberth will pay (help you pay) for a new one!
Overall, wow, my expectations are just blown away. With my other helmet (shoei) i was having huge buffeting issues, and the airflow was directed right at my eye balls. No good. The schuberth is worth every penny.
GO GET ONE!
May 24, 2016
Great Helmet- WTH, It's only your head!
Yes, it's pricey. It's also a little on the louder side, but I wear earplugs, and it isn't any louder really than any other helmet. The fit is snug, for sure, but not too snug. No hotspots yet, although I haven't been riding much yet this year. Fantastic airflow compared to my NEXX X1R, and just as light. Great vision, and features. The visor fits nicely, no gaps.
March 22, 2016