Fox Racing Comp 5 Boots
Very Good entry level boot -- Long term review
I've had this boot for two years. I've used these boots since I started riding and have worked excellent for me.
I'll save you the effort of scrolling down to the bottom line, here's the TL;DR
Bottom line: Excellent beginner-intermediate boot, amazing comfort, excellent price and durability. Not so great protection (but not bad), especially if riding more aggressively and in harsh terrain. Good adv-touring boot too, flexible enough to play nice with shift lever and for long rides. Thoroughly recommend.
Now the detailed breakdown
- CONFORT! These boots are extremely comfortable, they barely felt like riding boots from day one, without feeling flimsy and unprotective. They hug your feet very well, flex well, and you can walk normally in them.
- Price. These boots really do have a bang for their buck.
- Durability. After two years of hard riding and falling they're on very good condition. They're getting a little banged up now but it's mostly cosmetic and nonvital damage, all the important parts (sole, buckles, protection) is in perfect working condition.
- Protection. This is my biggest issue with these boots. The protection isn't BAD per se, as the've saved my feet many times from bone-breaking situations, but I HAVE tested its limits. It is somewhat flexible in parts where more rigid support would be better, especially in the heel portion. I've had falls that have managed to hurt my ankles and heels (bike falling directly on them, twists etc.), nothing too bad, just a few weeks of discomfort, but as I progress I'm starting to want more protection. However, as an entry level rider you won't be handling too extreme terrain and speeds so I do recommend them as a beginner-intermediate boot.
- Design. I'm indifferent to the design, not awesome, but not bad, however there are more important things to worry about.
That's it. Bottom line, great boot, recommended if you're looking for an affordable, comfortable boot with decent protection but don't want/can't jump into the more beefy and expensive tiers.
December 5, 2014
very comfort, but not safe.
when i hit a rock the sole folded up and i break 2 finger.
the sole is flexible. in the store it was comfort ,good price and good looking but in the field it not that good.
December 1, 2014
Not all good.
I ripped the shin shield while kickstarting my bike and tore through all the stitching. aside from that not a bad boot
September 26, 2014
Great Entry Level Boot
I choose these boots based on the price and other reviews. Another reason was that I used to borrow a pair of AlpineStars Tech3 from my friend and they did not last more than one season. I took them out riding outside of Woodland Park, CO this past weekend and 2 other guys had the same boots and were on season 3. They were very happy with the comfort and durability for such an affordable boot.
Main Use: Trail riding.
I usually were a size 10-10.5, but ordered an 11 and they fit perfectly.
Unknown at this point. The wear and tear on the other two guy's boots was minimal for going on 3 seasons. Very promising.
No main points of discomfort or rubbing noticed during the 5 hours of riding the other day.
Overall, I am very pleased with these boots so far and would definitely recommend them.
June 30, 2014
These boot are great I love the pair very comfortable and looks great
June 30, 2014
Good boot for the pricd
Fits well and provides good support for ankles. Protection seems solid after a few good rides.
June 9, 2014
Way under priced for the quality
These are excellent boot i bought them for 159.00 to get me by while i was waiting for my 500.00 alpine stars that i ordered to come in and i was surprised at how comfortable they were right out of the box. They broke in fast and have great ankle support and have never got an injury anywhere the boot covers. They are so comfortable that i where them while Im just around the shop working on my bike and testing it on the track or when we are just burning it up around the pit. It's been two years now and the buckles are still good no tears or toe flap and the only thing that has happened is the top overlap has curled a bit. But they have probably put on a 1000 miles of hard riding and they still feel comfortable like my good old cowboy boots. You wont be disappointed with this purchase.
March 4, 2014
Run small by a size
I normally wear a 13 and the 13 in this boot was way too small. i have exchanged for a 14. We will see how they fit. I think they will be fine.
March 26, 2011