Shark Speed-R Sauer Helmet
Value for money.....
I bought this helmet a year ago. I have more then 1500 miles on it.... Great comfort... Whiz sound when you turn your head...took few months for break in chic pads...great sun visor...chin air vent broke on me... May be I was too hard on it...only thing I did not like about it was visor lock. If you are in traffic and wants to open it with gloves on, it's not easy. Don't have prob with fog.... All in all great looking helmet.
October 4, 2014
Best Helmet I've Used So Far
1. Compared to a Shoei GT Air Graphic (~$600) the Shark Speed-R is both cheaper ($439) and ECE 2205 rated.
2. Awesome feature set: Flip down sun visor, Pinlock ready face shield and pinlock lens included, Rear Spoiler, Chin Curtain, Removable liner, Easyfit system for us glasses wearers. . .and shark tooth ready!
3. Great Style
-Shark Speed-R cuts a better profile in the wind compared to my Shoei Qwest which = less pressure on neck (possibly a combination of lighter weight or construction and better aerodynamics
-Smooth action (no detents) for face shield give it a surprisingly plush feel
-Magnetic closure for face shield can be undone one-handed with a gloved hand contrary to other reviews (one finger on front of visor to control upward motion and left thumb simultaneously puts pressure on magnetic clasp to weaken/loosen seal. . .then simply raise the shield up!)
-Drop down sun visor is really great to have--no more changing out shields or buying more shields
-If you wear a Shoei helmet the Shark should be true to size; no real pressure points
-I didn't give it 5 out of 5 for durability or airflow because I haven't sufficiently tested the helmet in a wide range of conditions to verify
August 20, 2014
Awsome aggressive looking helmet. Airflow is good, but it can get really hot in the summer days. Internal sun visor is a great feature. The padding a little thick and it doesn't suck up moisture as good as helmets with hydradry. Everything else is wonderful! Little buffeting for awesome head checks, comes with pin lock visor, visor comes off so easy, and did I mention it looks awesome!
August 11, 2014
The internal sun visor is great and easy to find while riding. It could be darker though, I don't think it's as dark as the mirror tinted visor I have on another helmet. But it does the job on a sunny day, just not if you're riding into the sun. I like how there's very little room below the sun visor to let in light. Ventilation is great, can actually feel it. I don't have a hard time unlocking the visor from the down position like some others have said. With gauntlet and summer gloves I feel the tab with my thumbnail and press up.
September 15, 2014
Great helmet for the price. As far as fit goes I was right in between a large and extra large, went with the extra large and the fit is great. I like the option to be able to wear sun glasses with the removable padding pieces. Helmet finish is top notch and having an optically correct lense makes a big difference. The visor clip that secures the visor in the closed position takes a little getting used to when opening the visor with gloves on but it's not a deal breaker. The chin strap secures really well and having the snap keeps the excess from flying around while riding. All in all I would definitely recommend this helmet and would purchase future Shark products.
July 28, 2014
Great all around helmet
I ride both a cruiser and a sport bike. I bought this helmet primarily because I needed a light color helmet for summer riding and I really likes the SHARP rating this helmet got. I have a shoie gt air and a shoie qwest as well. This shark helmet has superior aerodynamics and is a lot lighter than the other two helmets mentioned above. The air flow isn't bad without the chin curtain (removable). It is also a lot more comfortable - better quality interior but still a tight race fit (which I really like in my helmets) but it's not as restricting as the gt air is. The built in sun visor come down lower so no irritating bright strip at the bottom of your view. AS others have mentioned the shield latch is a bit hard to open (or feel) with gloves on and there are no detentes (I knew this going in and have no issue with not having them). The shield is pin lock ready and does come with a clear pin lock shield - there's some confusion in the reviews about this. All in all I have no real cons except the shield latch being hard to find or open with gloves.
July 21, 2014
Tell you the truth it's just an avarage helmet.
the helmet is average there is nothing that would stick out to a buyer other than the color and design or the outside looks. it runs slightly smaller in size. the 1 thing that I really like is the anti fog screen. On cold mornings the screen is nice and clear. I also like shark helmets because of the shark tooth their com. System. Its very slick and has a built in compartment for the battery pack. The design/ the looks is cool looking. you can find other helmets that has same safety measures in lower prices like Shoei even in Built witch is a Cycle Gear own brand. Noise wise it's not the greatest, when you duck down to avoid the wind hitting you, you can hear the noise getting much louder. like all the other helmets in the market it has some pros and cons what I would suggest is that you should buy it try it on see if you like it. Revzilla is great source for buying the Shark pro speed r. They have great customer survice And if you don't like it then you can return it. Easy as that.
June 23, 2014
It's a keeper!
Things I love about this helmet:
- Space at the temples for eyeglass frames. This is really awesome. I’ve tried on dozens of helmets and Shark is the only brand that makes riding with glasses a breeze. Not only are my glasses easy to put on, but since the temples aren’t squeezed, movement of the helmet doesn’t shift the glasses on my face.
- Shield can be easily changed with the helmet still on your head. Makes it easy to change from dark to clear shield.
- Internal sun visor. On sunny days I prefer to use a dark smoke shield; no helmet manufacturer makes an internal sun visor dark enough for my eyes. But in changing conditions the internal sun visor is awesome to have as a backup.
- Very quiet, blocking wind noise effectively. I can hear intercom conversations with no trouble.
- Pockets in the EPS liner for intercom speakers and a shell design that made it very easy to install my Cardo system.
- Looks great with the silver mirror face shield. The silver mirror shield is practical too - darker than I expected, which is good!
Other helpful tips:
- The shield rotates smoothly up and down, rather than having “stops” at varying degrees of openness. Initially I was concerned about this. However, the shield will stay open about 8mm at the bottom by simply closing it but not latching it.
Compared to my Icon Alliance, the Speed-R is a rounder shape, whereas the Icon is a longer oval.
Verdict: Great helmet.
June 14, 2014