Shark Speed-R Helmet - Solid
Not worth the coin, don't spend it on Shark.
I've used this helmet daily since Nov. '13 and I'm not happy with it at all! I mean, it gets used A LOT in all weather conditions! Probably 4K miles since purchase.
- The neck roll doesn't stay in place, the chin spoiler always wants to pop out when taking the helmet on and off, the external visor won't stay up on its own weight (detents are a GOOD idea!) and quickly accumulates condensation on the inside (No, I'm not a slack-jawed-mouth-breather).
- The chin vent is garbage. It only works if your head is at the prefect angle. The internal visor was getting stuck for the first few weeks. I had to man-handle the slider to get it to move up and down. External visor seals really well but difficult to fully close or open. The internal visor blocks the air flow of the chin vent when down.
- The visor tab points downward and I hard to grab with gloves. I have to grab and pull the visor down from the top to close is properly. (Nothing like having to your hand over your face while riding...)
- This helmet is LOUD! From my experience the wind hits my shoulders and deflects up to my ears. There must be an open space in the helmet padding because all the wind goes there. Above 50mph it is a noisy racket without ear plugs. I've had helmets that cost substantially less *cough Scorpion EXO500* that make less noise and have similar fit and finish.
- The fit is pretty good for my head shape, but I've had other helmets fit just a little better. Material feels good on skin though. Cool looking helmet.
Your results may vary.
February 27, 2014
I've only ever had low end helmets so my opinion is biased. But I must say this helmet meets ever expectation I had for it.
September 30, 2013
Would recommend helmet to friends
Helmet looks really nice in person feels nice and snug.
I Love the inside visor option as this allows me to drive around without having to worry about carrying around a second set of visor to go from bright sunny riding to dark night time riding.
Noise level does get semi loud around 45+ mph mark but nothing unbearable. If you do a lot of highway riding, you might want to invest in a pair of earplugs.
For the airflow, it does a decent job but not nearly enough as I had hoped. I get a little bit of ventilation from the vent in front of the mouth only if i tip my head slightly downward. You can feel the air flowing through the top vent but only at a decent speeds.
A huge negative for me with this helmet is that the "shark" lettering infront of the forehead has started to peel on the corner of the letter "K". I feel as though for a helmet that costs 400 dollars, even something small as that should not be made so cheaply. I do feel that if they had perhaps rounded out the edges of the letterings, it might not catch so often and peel but it is what it is.
If you get this helmet, just make sure you are aware of where the letters are while carrying it around and it should not give you a problem.
August 5, 2013
Saved my head!
I was in a highside crash going about 60 mph with my Buell 1125R, as I fell I landed on my head. Good thing I was wearing this helmet, not a single scratch on my head. It protected me well, fully recommended.
June 16, 2013
I upgraded from an HJC CL-16 that I had for a while. This helmet was a huge step up for me. Much quieter, a lot less air turbulence on my face, which is extremely important during winter.
Before I bought it, I wasn't sure if it came with a chin curtain, and I was extremely pleased to find that it does. Again, very handy for winter riding.
It's very comfortable, and very light. I feel a lot better turning my head around while riding, I don't feel like there's a lot of inertia on my head when I look around. This actually had a profound effect on my comfort and ability while riding.
All in all a great helmet, perfect for my needs. I hardly use the sun visor. It was pretty cool when I tried it out though.
May 23, 2013
This is my first shark helmet the fit is slightly snug on the cheeks but not uncomfortable. The internal visor is a great feature, and the weight is good.
Revzilla is an awesome online store especially for an overseas (Australia) buyer. Great price and fast delivery.
April 27, 2013
I'm very impressed with the features on this helmet. The drop-down visor is great. It's also the quietest helmet I've owned and it's very aerodynamic; you can turn your head in any direction in the windstream with no buffeting and very little change in noise levels.
April 22, 2013
Great helmet for getting into a higher price range
Coming from the Speed and Strength Off the Chain helmet, this is quite a step up! I didn't realize how much different it was until I went for a ride again in my old helmet and that's when I noticed the huge amount of quality that this helmet offers. The cheek pads are incredibly soft, the fit is excellent (better than the S&S even with the air pump system), the chin strap is comfortable, the air flow is fantastic, and even the drop down visor goes down farther than the S&S one. My biggest thing with this helmet is the fitment and how quiet it is. It may not be the most quiet thing on the market, but I truly enjoy a ride a lot more in this than I do in my S&S. I didn't think I would like the lack of detents on it, but I think it actually add more to it, the mechanism is extremely smooth and the ability to adjust it is fantastic. I have been impressed with every second I've been in this helmet. Will probably buy shark for my next helmet too!
April 19, 2013