Sena 20S Bluetooth Headset - Dual Pack
Potentially awesome until
First off, let me say that I received this and installed it one day before a 5000 mile trip. After charging and updating the firmware, I used my iPhone to configure the system. This is awesome - especially for setting radio stations.
Now, this is my first Sena unit. I've used a couple of Scala units over the years, so my G4 unit is what I am using for comparison.
1. The intercom on the Sena: Is awesome......and not. I really like the fact that you can open the intercom and it stays on until it's turned off. I have the dual set and we used the intercom CONSTANTLY for 10 days straight over 5000+ miles. The conversations were clear - even at speed. I did not seem to get the range Sena claims. On the couple of occasions the two of us got out of eyesight, the intercom broke up and we could not communicate. Both times we were on fairly flat roads. I must say that my Scala experience tells me this does not have to be the case. I had successful intercom conversations on the Scala (with the antenna up) with nearly a mile between riders. We will try again to see if we can determine an issue with the Sena.
2. My FM radio experience on the Sena is limited. It seems to work great in my hometown with the presets. Be sure and turn on the RDS feature to enable the system to modulate and find the strongest signal for your station. On the road it was hit and miss, which is to be expected. I never quite figured out the 'seek' function while on the fly. The volume, however, when I did find a station, was good.
3. Sensitivity: A mixed bag? I agree with another reviewer that if the sensitivity is set incorrectly then most likely a turn of the head will enable the blast of wind to change a setting used with a depress of the jog dial button. Both of us had this issue. Again, with my iPhone I made an adjustment and solved the wind-changing-the-setting issue. Now, however, I have a harder time double tapping the unit to give a voice command. It's taking several attempts and almost hitting the until for success. I will tinker with my software settings to see what I come up with. I could be wrong, but seems like there are only High, Low and Off options.
Overall I am fairly pleased with this unit. My main complaint is that my MP3 music or audio books are not loud enough at any speed, even though all other options are. Maybe they will offer a solution in a future firmware update.
**I just noticed on my Sena iPhone app that there is a new firmware update out! I'll download that and see what improvements may be there.
September 13, 2014
Pricey, but works great
Everything it's cracked up to be. I rated 4 on bang for the buck because $500 for the pair seems a bit steep to me. I also rated 4 on ease of use because you will never remember all the functions and now to access them through taps, presses, and turns of the buttons / jog dial. Fortunately, there's an iPhone app that has the guide in it so you can always reference that when you need to. Other than those minor points, it does everything it's advertised to do and the sound quality is fairly good for the speaker size.
September 8, 2014
Helmet to divice mount broke right out of the box. We had to zip for Trip.
September 8, 2014
Works amazing after the firmware upgrade
I bought this knowing about the system beep and possible low music volume. The system beep was crazy loud but I never had a problem hearing my music. After the firmware update its 100 better. They fixed a lot of bugs. I'm very happy that I went with this instead of the smh10. Great product
September 8, 2014
Excellent Product... Easy to install... Awesome all around!!
Excellent product... Easy to install... Awesome headset all around!!
September 6, 2014
good and recomended
intercoms are good to use but mobile app needs to be updated
September 1, 2014
Good, but really needs work
I preordered based on the excellent reviews of other Sena models, and was really excited about the radio function, BT 4.0, and iPhone integration.
This is my first Bluetooth headset for a motorcycle helmet but have a lot of experience with non-helmet headsets.
The installation was good, tons of options for microphones, I bought the 2 pack it is very nicely packaged and laid out.
My major concerns are;
1. The radio is unusable, and
2. The controls can get confusing
3. The tap function is too sensitive and auto-activates at highway speed, which is distracting and therefore unsafe.
I really like the unit construction, installation was good, but the software is still a work in progress and the radio and tap-tap functionality need adjustment to be useful....I'm hoping that the next firmware release improves this items.
I'm borderline on whether I would purchase another of these.
August 29, 2014
Good product, but somewhat faulty when using with other sena products
I upgraded to the 20s from the SMH10 because of the multitasking audio feature. What I have found is that it does not work well when using it in intercomm with the old SMH10. The sound is clearer but it is not as loud as the SMH10. So it seems that if I want to do this I have to use the external audio jack. Not practical but is better that having a additional pair of small speakers inside my helmet.
August 21, 2014