Reevu FSX1 Rear-View Modular Helmet
NOT a Gimmick
I've been wearing BMW's helmets for over 20 years and though they may not always be on the cutting edge of helmet technology I like other features that their helmets provide. I recently found myself in need of a new helmet and wanted something not to expensive but GOOD! The Flip-up Chin Guard was mandatary, everything else was less important. I'm now a fair weather rider for the most part so features like Internal Air Flow, weight, construction material were less important.
The novel but useful Rearview System caught my attention. It works quit well. Not identical to your car Rearview Mirror but still useful. I followed the Fitting Instructions found on the Helmet Importer/Manufacturers web site to choose a size for my head. The sizing runs a tad larger than recommended by them. This could simply be a variation in a production run. When I first put on the helmet it fit perfectly, like I had worn it for a year. This means over time it may become loose and require some extra padding to make it snug. Thats an easy fix. The quality of the helmet was about what I had expected for its price meaning I wasn't disappointed. The only "weak-ish" aspect of the helmet is the top ventilation. Its flow through interior channel is taken up by much of the Rearview System. If your going to ride in hot humid conditions like me I would urge you to buy a lighter color helmet and NOT Black like I did. Its not a deal breaker in Black but you may be more sensitive than I am. In closing, I rated it as being Average at many things because of the compromises that had to be made in its design and construction in order to implement its Rearviewing System. It simply doesn't perform as well as the very best helmets, also don't lose sight that its NOT $1,000......
December 7, 2014
Helmet is overall awesome, but...
I bought this helmet for my fiancee who rides a Victory Vegas 8 Ball. He fell in love with the rear view technology this one offered. He tried it on and loved the fit, feel and quality of the helmet. The rear view system is really cool and easy to get used to. The two major drawbacks to this helmet that made it a no-go for him was the poor air flow. Man this helmet gets hot and we live in Arizona! The biggest drawback is the placement of the chin strap and how it cuts into his adam's apple. There is just now way to move it away or adjust it.
This helmet seems like it would be more comfortable for a woman or for someone who rides a sport bike in a cooler area than Arizona. Reevu has a great idea, but the product definitely needs to be improved on.
August 7, 2014
Good quality and comfortable
1. This helmet felt nice and light compared to my previous Harley Davidson modular.
2. Visibility is excellent
3. You should push the helmet forward, its more comfortable and the rear view is better.
4. Rear view is a bit wavy due to the plastic mirror but it does the job ok. I need to look over my glasses, looking through them doesn't work so well.
5. Noise is ok with the visor in an open position. The detent on the visor is excellent, it really holds well. The only drawback of the helmet is the outrageous noise with the visor closed. It isn't so bad on my Victory Vision because of the windshield. I always ride with the visor open anyway unless it's raining. I don't recommend it for someone without a windshield.
6. Placing the speakers for my Sena bluetooth was tricky. The liner near the ear has no cutouts so I had to place the speakers partly forward, under the snap-in liner to clear my ears. It hits when they are directly at the ear, ouch. One benefit of this is that they are so close that the audio volume is much better compared to my last helmet. There is no easy direct routing path for the speaker cables due to the zip in collar. I had to route it forward around the end of the zipper then back in under the liner. There was just enough cable to reach.
7. The under chin collar can be a bit annoying, you have to push it down and out when closing the face shield.
8. The helmet has a metal stud that the face shield locks into. It looks to be quite secure in the case of a fall.
9. It is a tall helmet so you may bump you head until you get used to that.
10. It's easier to put your glasses on after the helmet goes on, I tend to knock one side of the glasses off my ear.
11. I'd like to see a mod to the helmet to reduce the noise...
April 11, 2014
This a must have for extra safety
This is a very good product easy to use and fits perfectly excellent experience having a rear mirror on my helmet for extra safety and the modular is the best , thanks for helping me have better driving and more safe experiences.
April 7, 2014
need further development
Mirror technology without the need for a screen and power source is Great achievement. However the vision is quite blurry need time to get used to it. Styling needs to be revised. Heavy and easily scratched. Will keep it though.
February 10, 2014
Gimmick that doesn't perform.
The mirror system is quite small and not easily viewed after trying several combinations of adjustments. The helmet is the noisiest I've worn with much of the air noise apparently coming from the bottom of the helmet. Not recommended.
April 29, 2013
lives up to the hype
I did a lot of research before buying this helmet. I wasn't sure if the rear-view function was going to be a gimmick or not. Most reviews I've read were positive, so I took a chance and spent the money.
I'm glad I did. This helmet is very well made. It fits very comfortably, better than my Shoei Neotec. It's about the same weight as my Shoei too. It has a better field of view out the front than the Shoei.
The rear view aspect of this helmet is the real deal. It's identical to having a rear view mirror in a car. You glance at it quickly every couple of seconds while in traffic just to do quick spot checks and it works great. Now I know exactly what's going on behind me at all times. It really works.
I don't see how this is the only brand helmet with this incredible feature. It should be standard equipment on all motorcycle helmets. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar from all other motorcycle helmet manufacturers in the near future.
February 22, 2013
City Riding its a must
I have the RVMSX1 model and its the greatest helmet I have ever had been able to see behind is awesome and has changed the way I ride. This RV FSX1 model is a lot lighter which is a surprise for a flip model. It seemed noisy at first until I contacted the firstname.lastname@example.org They explained that I needed to take off the front visor and tighten the philips head screw. It was slightly loose.. The noise has now gone.
February 20, 2013