Klim Altitude Women's Jacket
New version still needs more
I own the 1st gen and now this one too. The new Altitude I feel is made for a real girly figure and even leaning towards the sport bike and cruiser folks. They got rid of the side hip gators which I felt was a plus on the older version. The collar is improved but still in diameter a bit small to use a heated liner zipped up comfortably. I wish they made it a 2 size closure. The arm cuffs are narrow and really difficult to get gloves underneath.
You are right about the weight but I think this is what other companies do. Compared to guy suits I always feel women suits use less of quality of material. Using the flex material in the shoulders is an improvement from last version. Does not feel as tight around the chest so for those with boobs should be more comfortable. The pants have zero pockets now. Which is too bad. Last model the pockets fit a credit card but now there isn't anything for us gals to use. I would have liked to see a cargo pocket. I can only think that Klim is reaching out to other riders than ADV bike riders. More stream lined or tailored look. I didn't mind the loser feel of the pants since I ride standing and it's physical. I liked how the last version fit better but like how Klim tweaked the crotch. I can't stress enough that women need and want pant pockets.
So all in all this is classic Klim. Slight improvements and some disappointments for me. Having said what I have said..I know they will keep making changes and this is for me my go to suit because of the Gore Tex shell protection. I have never been a fan of liners period...however it would be nice to have more than one women's suit to choose from since I believe Klim is trying to be appealing to many different style riders with one suit. I ride dual sport...and will also use my Klim Latitude suit because of the pockets and fit as well. I think Lindsay should be wearing an 8 if she wants to use a base liner.
Last version the pants ran larger than real life I felt and this version the pants I think run a bit smaller because of the tailored fit. In the end motorcycle gear for adventure riders doesn't have to fit like regular clothes. It should move with the rider and fit as though you don't even feel it. IMHO. ;-) Great video.
April 9, 2016
Loving it! This jacket brings comfort and style as well as protection from the elements.
I would have given the highest rating for all categories, but I am still breaking it in so have not totally put it through all of its paces yet. This jacket brings comfort and style as well as protection from the elements. I am about 5'10', 170, athletic (but not skinny--38B/Size 12-14ish) build...When I ordered, I was trying to decide between the Badlands (available in Men's only) and Altitude options so I got both. I ordered the large Altitude initially, but due to my broad shoulders and longish arms traded it for the XL and it was a great decision. I chose the Altitude over the Badlands jacket because I really wanted the lighter color and it just fit me better...I looked like a woman wearing a woman's jacket rather than a man's. The thing fits like it was made for me but there is still plenty of room to layer comfortably. I have only had this for a short time and have only ridden with it twice so far, however my rides were in Feb/Mar in Colorado so it was still on the chilly side. I had concerns about the lack of an insulation liner with this jacket, but have kept quite comfortable with some light layering. This thing is impervious to wind...kept me quite comfy in strong cold winds today.
Here are my initial thoughts on the jacket:
1) I love the styling. I am not petite and have had to resort to buying men's bike gear in the past because I am just off the size chart for the "cute" women's stuff. It is nice to feel a bit more feminine but still feel sufficiently protected. I appreciate the cut of the jacket and the armor protection. For some reason though Klim put a stepped- down version of back armor in the women's jacket compared to the men's (Badlands) version so I swapped it out for the better protection.
2) I really like the light grey color and the orange trim on it as I believe the lighter colors improve visibility, but I REALLY would have loved to have a hi-viz option in the women's jacket...even some hi-viz trim would be nice.
3) I am tall and I have a fairly long neck, but still struggle with the collar a bit. I fumble a bit getting it closed and I wish I could just snip off the corners or maybe round them off where it comes together at the zipper because it is a little stiff and "poke-y" sometimes when zipped all the way (or almost all the way).
4) Range of motion has been very good. No complaints there. The armor feels like it is right where it should be too.
5) I was concerned about the high price, but about the time I got mine, my boyfriend took a high-side spill off-road wearing his Badlands jacket and came through with a just scuff that is hardly noticeable (I wish I could say the same for his helmet which had a big and deep scrape out of it) and though he was pretty sore for a few weeks, the armor absolutely saved him from a broken shoulder. I am learning that with moto gear, you really do get what you pay for in most cases. I believe this is a coat I could have until the last day I ever ride...which I hope is a long way off!
6) I wanted the matching pants, and ordered them along with the men's Badlands pants to compare between them and ended up keeping the Badlands pants. I loved the cut and fit of the Altitude pants that go with this jacket, but ultimately I wanted the added protection the Badlands pants offered (superfabric). Klim would be smart to just give us girls the same levels of protection the boys are getting but I give them a lot of credit for the thought they have put into the cut and style of these pieces.
I highly recommend this gear and am very glad I made the investment.
March 7, 2016
Does it all!
Great, great gear! This is the only jacket I wear on our annual multi-month treks. The collar could be configured better, but other than that, all thumbs up.
November 27, 2015
Great product at premium price.
You get what you paid for.
October 5, 2015
Worth every penny
We took our new Klim gear on a 2 week northern Rockies tour to check it out. We had 36 and 97 degrees, sun, rain, freezing rain (at Glacier Nat'l Park) and nothing fazed it or us. All zippers, vents, pockets work perfectly (once you figure out where they all are). I wore a tank top under or other days 3 heavy layers -- still fit just fine. How great when rain threatens not to have to pull on rain gear over boots sitting on the side of the road! Yes, it's expensive, but in some places 2 nights at an okay motel cost the same as the jacket -- and I still have the jacket & will for years. Thanks, Klim. PS - I also have the Klim pants, but had to buy them elsewhere. Not available at Revzilla at the time.
September 21, 2015
Durable, comfortable and stylish.
I purchased both the jacket and the pants in gray and immediately took them on a 1,000 mile adventure on and off road in 100+ degree heat. Despite the substantial construction, the ventilation system worked well and I was able to stay comfortable all week on the road. Thankfully I have not had to test the protection, but the adjustments work well to place the knee and elbow pads where they need to be.
I'm 5'9", 175 lbs and purchased the jacket in Large and the pants in 12. The fit is spot on. I have broad shoulders, so was hesitant to purchase a women's fit jacket, but it fits great.
July 6, 2015
The fit is small, the jacket feels great but the breast pockets are useless on a woman. Have ridden in 50 & 80 degree weather and the jacket workers as advertised, have not been caught in the rain yet so I don't know how dry it will keep me yet. This is by far the best jacket I have owned, hope I don't get to check out the body armor.
May 4, 2015
Fits well, looks great, feels great!
I bought the Klim Altitude jacket and pants as my textile option and I love this set. The jacket fits well, looks great, has excellent features throughout. I feel protected but it's not bulky at all. I get good air flow when I open the vents, but am toasty warm if I close them all up. I love that it's Gore-tex so I am waterproof and can layer if I want added warmth. I look forward to years of riding with this combo.
May 4, 2015