Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Jacket
Good bang for the buck, but quality is a concern
The Atomic 4.0 delivers on what Joe Rocket is known for - a high level of features, functionality, and style, without a high price tag. But there are no free lunches, and JR has to cut corners somewhere. At least in my experience, the harsh realities of the bottom line show up in the quality of the zippers used in this jacket.
Both wrist zippers failed after about 8 months of daily use, with the second letting go about a month after the first. I'm returning the jacket to the manufacturer for repair under the terms of the one-year warranty, but anticipate that the zippers will go out again before another year goes by. This issue is a frequent complaint with JR products, which for the most part, do not include YKK zippers as commonly found on more expensive gear.
This is a great jacket for the weekend warrior, vacation tourer, or occasional commuter. But if your daily driver has two wheels, you're probably better off spending a little more up front for gear that will last longer.
July 20, 2014
Great Jacket For The Price
This is my first jacket so I cannot compare it to any previous ones but I have put 500 miles on it and it has great airflow and keeps me cool even on these hot summer days. I feel like this jacket has good protection, but the inside zipper came undone and had to be sewn back on. Luckily revzilla hooked it up by paying for the tailor.
June 4, 2014
great product for the price
Great product for great price, good quality and good airflow
May 26, 2014
A great cooler weather jacket
Bought this jacket to wear when the temps drop below 70 and my mesh jacket did not keep me warm enough. With the zip out liner in I can wear this to temps done to 50 and be comfortable and I can take out the liner and just wear a t-shirt underneath and be comfortable to the upper 70's. This jacket feels like it offers great protection as well.
May 20, 2014
For this price, it can't get any better!
It's hard to find a nice jacket for this price range, but Joe Rocket really does deliver. Very good quality product for a fair price. It has good looks and nice features.
I live in Brazil, and i face hot weather almost every day year through: temperatures hardly go under 72°F, so the liner stays in my closet all the time. With vents aways open and the bike moving the air flows well enough to keep you unbaked. When you stop though, it gets pretty hot inside - don't worry, a 30sec red light won't make it unbearable. Remember: this is a waterproof jacket! I don't believe you can get much more airflow from any other one of it's kind.
The design is awesome! I'm kind of a minimalist. Those big logos and drawings and color schemes don't appeal to me at all. So this jacket is a great call for those like me.
I'm 6' tall and weight 176lbs and the MD size fits me great. It is not soooo comfortable, especially if you ride a street bike and you hv to bend a little more. Yet again, nothing unbearable.
As for protection, i did not put it to test yet - and i have no intention to do so. It appears to offer a good protection for a crash situation. It's nicely built and the textile structure seems to be very solid and able to take a good amount of abrasion. For me that's better left untested.
Overall, i believe this is the best bang for the buck you can get if you are looking for a waterproof jacket under US$200. Without a doubt, it worths more than it costs.
Good looks, nice fit, solid protection.
I totally recommend this product, especially if you're a everyday commuter and want to have a fair priced jacket for a frequent use.
Ride safe, fellows!
May 19, 2014
Perfect first jacket
Alright, I didn't want to write a review until I had put the jacket through every riding scenario, and now I have. So here's my rundown:
1) Fit - it does fit a little large in the chest/gut. I'm 6'2" 180 lbs and a pretty fit built. However, it's not big enough to make it uncomfortable or bulky, and can be kind of nice for putting a couple layers under it in colder weather.
2) Temperature - I've worn this in 30 degree weather and 85 degree weather, and that's the threshold for both ends (personally). With the liner in, this jacket rocks out in 30 degree weather. My torso was warm, but not the rest of me. With the liner out and all vents open, 85 degrees is okay if you're moving. But get caught at a few lights and it gets a little sticky.
3) Protection/durability - As far as crash protection, that's the only thing I haven't tested out yet. I've had this out in the rain a couple times, and I can say my torso did not get wet! Granted, I was not in a downpour so I can't attest to that, but it hold up in a steady rain. The construction seems solid, but I have had a few loose treads that have gotten caught in m zippers. But I just cut em' off and it's all better.
4) Features - The inner chest pocket is great! Always worry about my phone falling out of my pocket on long rides, but not when it's in the chest pocket! The belt loops are also super handy for longer rides. The only downside to the belt loops is that you have to scrunch your shirt up above your belt in order to connect the jacket. Nothing major, but can be slightly uncomfortable.
5) Comfort - It's not made for comfort, it's made for protection. So take that for what it's worth. For the most part I've never really been uncomfortable. However, with the liner out, the interior mesh can be a little bit uncomfortable/irritating against the skin.
6) Style - Again, it's primary purpose is protection, not styling. That said, it is a very good looking jacket. The simple color choices make it easy to match the jacket to your bike/helmet color. Had one rider ask what kind of jacket I had because he liked the look of it so much and wanted to buy it.
I would definitely recommend this jacket to anyone. It's a great multi-season jacket. The only thing I would say is if you're looking for strictly a warm weather jacket, this is not for you. But it kicks but in all weather/riding conditions below 80 degrees.
May 17, 2014
Great jacket for a very good price
True to size, very good fit and protection, Ridden in cold weather ( 30-40 degrees ), liner worked well and was very warm. Liner can also be removed for warm weather riding. This Joe Rocket jacket is a great product for the price.
May 12, 2014
Great bang for your buck!
When I first got this product, I felt a little constricted. But after a couple of adjustments with all the straps , I made it a perfect fit! This fits a little snug but It has pretty good air flow and I feel completely protected wearing it! The pads are placed nicely and this is easy to clean or wash. You won't regret making this purchase.
May 12, 2014