Garmin Zumo 590LM Motorcycle GPS
Don't waste your money on this unit. Buy one of the older models.
This is my 4th Garmin and my 2nd Zumo. The promise of a brighter easier to read screen is without merit. My old first generation Zumo is better even with the smaller screen. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on this unit. And yes, I have the brightness set to 100% and on the power cradle. The unit is so dim its worthless.
November 23, 2014
Expensive but I don't regret the purchase.
I enjoy using this greatly. I enjoy easily adding iPod capability without buying expensive adapter for my radio. The mapping function worked great on a week long trip we took from Texas to Tennessee and North Carolina. Bluetooth worked great with phone giving me weather and traffic info. Will attempt to route you around traffic if there is a shorter route than what the delay is. The only thing I have come across that I didn't like was that I have not been able to get it to announce guidance commands through a bluetooth adapter that I have plugged into my aux input, it will do music from unit but no directions. So I have to run cable from audio out to my aux input. Love the curvy route option also. Went through a heavy thunderstorm with it and had no issues and works well with gloves on. Is on the expensive side but for me was well worth it. Worked great with my virb camera also. Was able to start and stop recordings and snap pictures going down the road. I am very happy with it.
November 23, 2014
Best Garmin GPS so far
Compared to the Garmin 660/665 it is a large upgrade in software more so than hardware. The software on the 590 is a lot more like the software on the Garmin Zumo 3597LMT (car GPS). It looks almost identical but has more features.
Some cool features:
1. When in the car cradle switches to car mode and you can have seperate settings for routing options and such, motorcycle mode when in the motorcycle cradle. It also changes the keyboard layout for the mode you are in.
2. So far the bluetooth has worked flawlessly. The GPS can connect to anything that can link to a phone. I have the GPS connected to my car bluetooth and my phone to my GPS. That way all calls go through the GPS. I am still able to play music from my phone to my car.
3. Works with Sena 20S headset. If you want GPS directions while you are connected to another headset, you have to have it connected as GPS with HFP. That means no stereo music. You can connect the garmin to the 20S as a phone with multimedia and get stereo sound but when you are talking to another rider, the GPS will cut off the conversation to play directions. This is a limitation of the Sena 20S.
4. The traffic updates are excellent, even better than the FM receivers used by the 3597LMT.
5. The display is very good in daylight, better than the 660/665.
I haven't had any issues with the GPS but never really had issues with the 660/665. This is a rock solid GPS.
October 3, 2014
Good, but expensive
Other than the price, this unit is the best motorcycle specific GPS I have used to date. The bright screen is visible in sunlight and I am still finding features and shortcuts that make it far superior to the Zumo 660 it replaced. Direct audio streaming from my iPhone and Pandora are welcome additions.
September 15, 2014
Great GPS, but it should be.
Best Garmin Zumo yet, but that's not to say it's perfect. I really do like having the USB port, but sometimes it would lock up when I had my ipod connected to it. Other than that, the screen is easy to see even in bright sunlight and everything else is really good.
August 19, 2014
Long time GPS user here......seriously...my first one was a GPS 12....long long time ago.
Coming from a Zumo 660 (1st gen), the 590LM is a familiar piece of gear. It is indeed larger by a bit....thus making this far from a hiking GPS. It has several features (phone link, and Virb remote) that made it interesting to me. Given I'm on dirt...probably won't use the tire pressure sensors...but that's kind of a cool feature too. It's everything I was used to....and several new features. I think the absence of an internal speaker is the one thing they missed.
August 18, 2014
Fast GPS for your Moto
This product does everything it's meant to do.
The fascinating things to me that it does well:
1) It's very fast and responsive. Even with gloves on. Recalculates routes very fast!
2) Even in direct sunlight you can see what's going on. It's like its a combination of LED and LCD. It just works.
3) The size is not too big and not too small. I have a large adventure dual sport bike and I have it mounted to a touratech mount on the handlebar mount. Works great and fits even better.
I don't know what else beats this for what it does. Should it be less expensive? Probably.
If it holds up for years to come, all my expectations will be met.
August 6, 2014
Garmin did a good job with this device
I needed to replace my older garmin motorcycle gps and this unit hit the mark in every way . it is easy to use has a large screen that can be seen in sunlight without a visor and is waterproof. I was able to move all my data from the street pilot such as waypoints and favorites. I like the fact that i can customize the data seen on the screen like gas food and hotels without having to do a search . The only downside is the lack of easy integration with google maps.
July 21, 2014