AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Camo Helmet
Good Value and Safety, Poor Finished Quality
The fit and finish on this helmet is not nearly as good as you will find in more expensive models, but it's DOT and ECE approved which is really what matters.
- Looks pretty cool, especially with a silver reflective visor
- Flows air
- Not uncomfortable or heavy
- Installing the reflective replacement visor I bought was a pain and it felt like I was breaking the brackets trying to put it on. I got it on and it works, but it still makes creaking noises and does not move smoothly up or down. The brackets are cheap plastic so be warned.
- The visor does not appear to form a tight seal against the gasket so I'm expecting a bit of water inside the helmet if a monsoon hits.
- Some rough edges on the plastic, overall average to poor finished paint and plastics
- This is a cheap helmet and you get what you pay for. Plastic feels cheap, but it looks good and meets the important safety standards. I plan on replacing it with an ICON Variant or another higher quality helmet within 6 months. Honestly though for an entry-level dual sport helmet you could do a lot worse than the AFX FX-39, although personally I wish I had upgraded to the AFX FX-41.
July 15, 2014
Great value and design
Comfortable overall fit. I have a long nose so it grazes the rubber nose guard occasionally. Hi viz gives me exactly that. Not too noisy at 55 to 70mph. Also, wind resistance was not to jerky, better than expected with the visor. Buy it!
July 14, 2014
Inexpensive, good-looking, and effective.
I've had this helmet for a few months now. Here's what I can tell you from my experience...
- Fits a little smaller than expected
- Airflow is decent and provides for a fairly quiet ride (when the visor is down)
- Feels a tad heavy. When I move my head and stop, I can feel the true weight of the helmet. (Gains some momentum when you move your head quickly!)
- The helmet feels, like I rated it above, like an oval. As are most dual sport helmets...
- Vision is fairly wide. I don't feel like I'm in a narrow tunnel with it on. I can see out of my peripheral vision just fine.
I'm glad I purchased it. The helmet provides for a comfortable, stable riding experience. I would definitely buy it again.
July 14, 2014
Great helmet and features for the price.
I couldn't be happier with this helmet.I have a 7 5/8" cranium and ordered an XL and it fits great.Very convenient face shield.I might ad though there is no way I can get a pair of sunglasses on.Still very happy.
July 7, 2014
this is my first helmet, so i can't really compare it to anything. that being said, the suggested size based on the size hat i wear was a little small, really easy to change the face shield, really easy to remove/put back on the visor. looks better with the visor on in my opinion. also, a bit of a larger helmet overall than i expected it to be
July 1, 2014
Fits Like a Shoei at a Fraction of the Cost!
I ride a 2004 KLR 650 and was looking for a dual sport helmet. I've always had Shoei helmets in the past and was a bit hesitant to purchase this helmet. After reading quite a few reviews I decided to pull the trigger, and I'm glad I did.
Of the helmets I tried on in our local motorcycle shop, XL seemed to give the best fit. I was concerned that the sizing chart for this helmet was going to be incorrect but I ordered the size large (based on my measurements) and as indicated on the fit chart, it fit perfect!
As mentioned before, I have had 3 Shoei helmets in the past and the fit of this helmet is nearly identical to a Shoei. If I had to come up with a complaint, the only thing that I would mention is the cheek pad area is a little narrow but I've worn the helmet 6 or 8 times already and they seem to be loosening up. Overall the helmet fits perfect and I'm very pleased with the fit.
June 23, 2014
A/C 4 the Noggin
This helmet is great for summer heat,flows air like crazy.You do notice more noise but the excellent flow within the lid is worth it.I can't comment on function during cooler weather yet but I can see switching back to a tighter lid as temps fall.
June 21, 2014
Nice inexpensive DS helmet.
Very good value for a DS helmet. I find the helmet very comfortable with excellent fit. I selected my size (medium) based on the size chart and it was a perfect fit. I also like the ventilation but have not been in extreme heat (90+ degrees) to really put it to the test.
June 16, 2014