AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Camo Helmet
Great for a starter helmet!
Just got this helmet in the mail and took it for a ride. Air flow is great and is comfortable for the price. The style is even better in person than on the website. I ordered a small and maybe should have ordered a medium but it still fits fine! This product is defiantly worth a try!
July 26, 2014
Great for what you pay for
Coming from an open face helmet, I really love the design and fit of this helmet. It is loud but I always wear foam ear plugs when I ride anyways, so there was no real inconvenience. It is easy to see where some corners were cut in order to keep the price down. While taking off the visor to swap face shields, the paint for the design on the helmet is more like paper rather than paint, making a really cheap "flaky" sound when taking the screws in and out. If feels like you could peel the entire helmet paint off if you wanted to. Overall I am very happy with this helmet. The comfort and styling definitely out weigh the small details that make this a cheaper feeling helmet.
July 23, 2014
a little tight in the cheeks. it will break in fine though.
July 21, 2014
Great helmet for the price
I bought this helmet after having enough of my fulmer adv. Finish is on par and as expected for $100-150 range helmets. Has more of an oval shape which fits me great. Very little to no distortion from the shield, unlike the fulmer which was horrible. The visor seems longer than the fulmer but dose not catch the wind or have any noticeable ill effects up to 80mph. If you weren't prepared the fulmer would nearly rip your head off your shoulders. There is wind noise and its kind of loud but I think that is to be expected of a helmet in this price range, I suggest ear plugs. I like the ratchet strap much more than what I thought I would, I was afraid you would be able to feel a big bulge from it under your chin.
July 21, 2014
Good Value and Safety, Poor Finished Quality
The fit and finish on this helmet is not nearly as good as you will find in more expensive models, but it's DOT and ECE approved which is really what matters.
- Looks pretty cool, especially with a silver reflective visor
- Flows air
- Not uncomfortable or heavy
- Installing the reflective replacement visor I bought was a pain and it felt like I was breaking the brackets trying to put it on. I got it on and it works, but it still makes creaking noises and does not move smoothly up or down. The brackets are cheap plastic so be warned.
- The visor does not appear to form a tight seal against the gasket so I'm expecting a bit of water inside the helmet if a monsoon hits.
- Some rough edges on the plastic, overall average to poor finished paint and plastics
- This is a cheap helmet and you get what you pay for. Plastic feels cheap, but it looks good and meets the important safety standards. I plan on replacing it with an ICON Variant or another higher quality helmet within 6 months. Honestly though for an entry-level dual sport helmet you could do a lot worse than the AFX FX-39, although personally I wish I had upgraded to the AFX FX-41.
July 15, 2014
Great value and design
Comfortable overall fit. I have a long nose so it grazes the rubber nose guard occasionally. Hi viz gives me exactly that. Not too noisy at 55 to 70mph. Also, wind resistance was not to jerky, better than expected with the visor. Buy it!
July 14, 2014
Inexpensive, good-looking, and effective.
I've had this helmet for a few months now. Here's what I can tell you from my experience...
- Fits a little smaller than expected
- Airflow is decent and provides for a fairly quiet ride (when the visor is down)
- Feels a tad heavy. When I move my head and stop, I can feel the true weight of the helmet. (Gains some momentum when you move your head quickly!)
- The helmet feels, like I rated it above, like an oval. As are most dual sport helmets...
- Vision is fairly wide. I don't feel like I'm in a narrow tunnel with it on. I can see out of my peripheral vision just fine.
I'm glad I purchased it. The helmet provides for a comfortable, stable riding experience. I would definitely buy it again.
July 14, 2014
Great helmet and features for the price.
I couldn't be happier with this helmet.I have a 7 5/8" cranium and ordered an XL and it fits great.Very convenient face shield.I might ad though there is no way I can get a pair of sunglasses on.Still very happy.
July 7, 2014