Xena XX-10 Disc Lock with Alarm
This is an overpriced piece of stainless steel with a very cheap design and brittle plastic alarm module which should have not been sold.
1.) After about four months of use the unit begins to set off false alarms at any given time day or night in use or not in use.
2.) Upon inspecting the brittle plastic alarm module located inside the housing the clip that retains the module inside the house broke off therefore it is no longer able to stay inside the housing.
3.) The module cover is removed by a long flat metal key which moves a pin assembly back allowing the cover to be removed. The pin assembly is not properly designed with a spring to keep tension on this pin assembly and therefore under vibration while riding it is merely a short period of time before the module cover simply falls apart.
a. There are no adhesives which retain the assembly of the module cover and therefore the pin simply falls out and can be lost very easily.
b. There are no replacements should any of the pin, alarm module housing clip, and steel cover for the pin assembly which holds the pin in place.
4.) The lithium CR2 battery listed as XBP4 is with little speculation a very cheap battery which could be replaced at the local Duracell battery display at the local hardware store.
5.) In summary due to vibration when not in use yet stored on the bike this product will literally fall apart after four months of normal use. Therefore this is worthless as there is no durability.
As a person whom uses my bike daily to run errands and then uses it for long distance riding I need to trust that the bike is secure when not in use. I will not recommend this product to anyone at any time due to the fact the product falls apart in addition to sending false alarms in the day time or the middle of the night.
Simply purchase a kryptonite lock and you will have the durability you seek as this is a bit of a rip off due to very poor design and no engineering skills used in the design process.
The sensation of being ripped off has taken place
December 30, 2015
This item should have been recalled...
At first this product seemed like a good idea, but it has some serious flaws.
1. Construction of the lock component is quality and very sturdy
2. Easy to take on and off
1. The alarm module is seriously cheap. It malfunctions often causing it to go off for no reason. Your neighbors will hate you!
2. Reacts very poorly to ANY MOISTURE. Morning dew is enough to short out the alarm module which will cause it to continuously go off until the battery dies or you remove it. It then has to be replaced by Xena. They are quick to replace but this happens way to often for the device to be effective for its intended purpose
3. No way to remove the battery without it going off (an understandable inherent flaw). There should be a hard key included that can deactivate the alarm so it doesn't burst your ear drums when your're trying to remove it. This would require re-design
4. Though the construction of the lock is high quality, it does not justify the price considering the utter failure of the alarm component to deliver on user experience. You can get a lock of the same quality of construction without an alarm module for much less. The cheap piece of garbage known as the "alarm module" does not justify spending the extra money over a simple disc lock.
Conclusion: This was a huge disappointment. Go with a solid built disc lock and add a wired alarm system if you really need one. This product does not deliver both functions.
November 23, 2015
you'll be able to hear this alarm if anyone messes with your bike! it was a gift for our son, he loves it!
December 29, 2015
Great product that doesn't last
I was able to use it daily on my motorcycle for about a month until it broke. Any movement would set the alarm off, even when it is unlocked. It was great up until that point.
November 11, 2015
Worth every penny!!!
This product is worth every penny!!! Gives me a peace of mind while I'm working or out and about. LOUD and VERY sensitive!!! LOVE IT!!!
November 2, 2015
Good Lock - Alarm is Bonus
This lock seems to be solid and well-made. I am glad to have opted for a model that includes an alarm, as in addition to the anti-theft benefits it reduces the chance of accidentally starting to ride off with the lock still hooked to the disc. Installing the batter was a bit tricky, but otherwise it is easy to use. I would recommend this to anyone as a theft-deterrent. Obviously it won't stop a thief who is dead-set on taking your bike.
October 19, 2015
Very nice security lock
The easy installation and the quality of the product matches the price. Also the loudness of the sound that it lets out is crazy... I totally would recommend this product...
I love it
October 19, 2015
This lock is the BEAST!
After reading the reviews here, I was wary of this product; especially the comments about the alarm constantly going off in their bag. But I needed something, so I pulled the trigger.
So far, I've been very pleased with this disc lock and I've had ZERO issues with it. If it's not in use, it's in my backpack which I lug around with me everywhere. I've never had a false trigger on the alarm. I think the folks that are having trouble with it may be arming the lock before carrying it in their bag, and that's why they get the alarm going off. When I pull mine off my bike, I leave it unlocked and throw it in my bag. Never an issue. Maybe pointing this out will help out some folks having issues?
Regarding the build quality, like I said this thing is the beast. It's easy to use, does what it claims, and gives me what I wanted. Would I recommend it if you're shopping for a disc lock, heII yeah.
October 15, 2015