Nolan N44 Storm Helmet
Love the flexibility
I loved the features and flexibility of this helmet. I was concerned with the comment in the video that it was hard to fit another brand of comm package, not Nolan's own. I had no trouble fitting it with a Cardo Scalo Rider G9. I had to use the stick-on mount along the rim because the helmet has a shelf along and under its rim. The helmet does have cut outs for the speakers. Contrary to the video, I had no trouble removing and replacing the liner to fit the comm unit.
The one con that others have mentioned is that it is very difficult to put the helmet on with the chin guard in place. I cannot do it with glasses on. Without the chin guard, it goes on easily. I find it easier to put the helmet on and then add the chin guard if I want it. The helmet comes with plugs to fill the holes where the chin guard goes if you do not use it.
I was initially discouraged with the fit with the chin guard. I took advantage of Revzilla's return policy and ordered the Scorpion GT3000. I found that the Scorpion did not fit my face as well; the visor hit my nose. I wound up keeping the Nolan 44 instead. It is simply more comfortable for me. And, in the summer, I can wear it open.
Also, the helmet comes with the pin-lock anti fog shield. Do not order one in addition even though it is on the same order page. Once again, Revzilla's return policy cannot be beat.
July 12, 2015
I would have a little smaller shell
Using this helmet for 3 months
It has very wide angle of view than the others, only problem is a little noisy.
But less foggy than any other helmet. I would helmet has a little smaller shell.
May 25, 2015
Great helmet for the money but don't buy the N-Com system to go with it if you want to listed to music
Great helmet especially with the modular feature. Really comfortable etc. Too bad Nolan pairs with the N-Com as it sucks for a bluetooth. Only works for calls, nothing else like music etc. Big investment in time to install the N-Com and try to fix only to have it not work. I bought a Moto bluetooth earpiece from Best Buy to replace the N-Com system and it works great even without the mouthpiece for voice it recognizes voice commands etc and plays my Spotify music.
July 6, 2015
Great helmet, too noisy inside
Fit of helmet was right on with the sizing chart that nolan provides, love the features and looks of this helmet, and the price is good too. I have to yet try the communications system, still not decided what to buy, but I can say this helmet I have to wear ear plugs, the noise is just too much, even with the air vents closed, maybe with a bluetooth system I can hear music and distract me from all the noise, I have to test that, but I had shoei, hjc and vega helments and this one is sooo loud inside.
June 27, 2015
Interesting Features Bring Interesting Downsides
I bought this helmet and returned it, after finding a few unforeseen ways in which it doesn't meet my needs. I will start with the good:
- Nolan quality is present here. High quality materials, particularly the liner.
- The Graphite color is very slick. Not totally matte, dark with metal fleck looks very good. High quality, uniform appearance.
- Visibility is unmatched.
- The micro chin strap mechanism works well
However, due to the unique design, there are a few issues which I didn't expect:
- The neck hole is small. It can be put on with the chin bar in place, but it is VERY uncomfortable to do so. You have to wiggle it into place, and mash up your ears in the process.
- The chinbar is easy enough to remove, but you have to bend it into a tighter curve in order to re-insert it, so it is difficult to do it without a mirror.
- The huge face shield presents two problems; first, it turns your face into a greenhouse, trapping lots of solar heat. Second, with a normal helmet, you can crack the shield open to the first detent and get airflow right to the nose region. With this one, however, the first detent only provides minimally more airflow, way down on your chin, which doesn't do much to help mitigate the greenhouse effect. The vent in the visor doesn't do much either.
- Noise levels are 'acceptable', but no better. I was hoping the extra neck roll and chin curtain would help isolate sounds better, but it was merely average.
- The aerodynamics are interesting. Straight on, it is fine. Buffeting from the stock windscreen on my FZ6 is always an issue, but this handles it well enough. However, when you turn your head for a head check, particularly at highway speed, it REALLY grabs the wind to twist your head around.
- The chin strap seems to be set too far close the the throat. As much as I like the zip connector, having that plastic/metal pressing on my Adam's apple is uncomfortable. I had to wear it loose to be bearable.
- The vent within the visor is strange to get used to. With the clear lexan all around it, it is like a floating black orb in the bottom of your vision, obscuring the view of the instruments.
I didn't try out the pinlock insert or the adv visor.
June 25, 2015
Best helmet ever
I had a pretty cheap open face helmet before this one - so the change was a huge one for me. I wasn't even aware but my old helmet was ridiculously noisy, this one I'd say is reasonably quiet compared to it.
I love the huge visor, feels totally open and gives you the freedom to see and enjoy everything around you, almost as well as without a helmet.
Fit is comfortably snug, the only problem I had so far was putting it on and taking it off - I manage to painfully bend both my ears every single time - though I think it's because my lack of experience with full-face helmets.
Not a huge fan of the clasps, I think I prefer the double D rings better. The bulkiness of the clasp is pushing on my adam's apple, which is super annoying whenever I need to look down - what I did to overcome this: I push it forward, towards the mouthpiece after tightening it.
The built in solar visor is very awesome and super practical.
The aerodynamic design of the helmet is quite remarkable - with my old helmet, whenever I would turn my head I would get the feeling that the wind would knock me over - with this one I can't feel a difference! I had a couple windy days and since I have this new helmet I feel like my ability to steer the bike got significantly improved - stronger gusts of wind no longer push me all over the place. Or at least it feels like it.
BTW, I'm riding a 150cc Vespa.
May 4, 2015
Excellent value for money
So I was skeptical about this helmet, I always wanted a modular and thought this might be the next step until I buy a premium full modular.
The size of the helmet was perfect, I went from an XL Arai XD to L in this and it fits so much better. The noise level is still decent but its words better than my old Arai.
This helmet is freaking sweat, its literally the swiss army knife of helmets and that's no joke. Its gorgeous, fits well, and can do anything.
I honestly don't think I will get a premium full modular after owning this. If they came out with a "premium" version of this style it would be ordered in place. Not that its not of decent quality but I am not going to tell you it is the Rolex of helmets, more like a Citizen if that makes sense.
May 4, 2015
Bought this for long rides. It is an awesome helmet for the price. Chin bar makes it difficult to get on. Good thing is you can remove easily. Quieter than some reviews touted. You can put an external comm. on outside without gluing it to the side of helmet but I relocated with glue due to concerns about injury to the neck if involved in a fall.
June 15, 2015