Interphone F5MC Stereo Bluetooth Intercom - Twin Pack
Very good audio, works well!
I have not yet used many of the advanced features of this product and cannot comment there. I use this for 2 things, intercom with my wife who rides separately, and music streaming/sharing. These work extremely well!
1. I was on intercom and had to pull over to fix my jacket. My wife and I were separated by around a mile before our ability to intercom started breaking up and quit. That was not on a Kansas plain where I could still see her. It was real world riding on a twisty mountain highway. The auto reconnect worked flawlessly, as I started to catch up to her and we got back in range, no action was needed on my part to reconnect.
2. Music streaming works flawlessly with my iPhone. I wear a full face helmet with earplugs, and ride a street triple (so no fairing wind protection), and the music gets LOUD. I keep my phone around half volume with this setup, for normal music listening. Full volume is too loud for me and would actually hurt my ears.
3. Music sharing. It's easy for me to share my music with my wife on her bike. On our recent trip I shared podcasts with her. It was very entertaining as we could listen to the podcast, then interrupt with the push of the intercom button to talk about something in the podcast we felt was interesting. It helped keep us both very sharp after hours on the road.
1. The voice menu annoys me. I think all voice menus would annoy me, so I don't see a way of improving this easily. It's just a fact of owning a BT headset I guess.
2. Occasionally connection issues have occurred and we both need to reboot our headsets in order to connect. What happens is that one of us can hear the other, but not vice versa. Now that we know, its a simple fix. This also only appears to happen on the initial connection, so once we're on the road this has not been an issue.
3. Powering off, you have to hold the button for supposedly 5 seconds. It feels like 20 when you're just getting off your bike. I'm not sure why this has to be so long considering other button presses are no more than a tap or a 1 second "long press". It's not a big deal, but it is annoying.
June 29, 2015
Finally something that works.
My wife and both ride and take many long road trips together. We have looked into and even purchased several comm items in an attempt to be able to talk just here and there on the road. This f5 comm kit is the first that satisfied all our needs. It is easy to install. Works consistently well. Comm are clear even in the wind. Neither of us have had issues using them. Best of all is the battery life. We've spent eight hour days using them off and on and still had the battery life left to use them all day the next day. If I had to neg this item it would be some crackle and pop at higher speeds but still acceptable.
June 22, 2015
Not what I had hoped
I have a fairly quite helmet (Schuberth C3PRO) and have a hard time hearing my wife. she cant hear me at all. At speed I cant hear the left earpiece.
June 10, 2015
Easy to install but can't hear with a 3/4 helmet
I bought these because I liked the idea of being able to connect to other systems. I installed them in a flip-face helmet and a 3/4 helmet. At a stop sign or without the motor running. They worked as advertised. However, it is extremely difficult to hear from the 3/4 helmet probably because of the increased road noise. I could hear from the flip-faced helmet. If a 3/4 helmet is your style, save your money and don't buy this system or buy a full faced helmet. I must say that when I did make a phone call with the 3/4 helmet at 60 MPH on a V-twin, my friend couldn't tell that I was on a motorcycle. I just had to have him repeat that statement several times because I couldn't hear him.
June 7, 2015
I have used this system for 3 years mainly for music streaming via Bluetooth from my smartphone. I have never placed a call but I have received calls. Tone notifies me and music lowers in volume. Caller never has a clue that I am on a motorcycle. When call ends music resumes. Once set up before starting the ride it is truly a hands free system unless I choose to mute or cut off. I would highly recommend.
May 26, 2015
I've never used an intercom before. So I don't know how this compares to others. I bought this for snowmobiling with my wife. I have a carbon fiber C2 from 509 and my wife has a BRP module helmet from ski Doo. I used the clip and permanent microphone for my 509 and the wireing just sits under the padding. The earpieces were placed in with sticky tape and seems to be pretty secure. I couldn't use the clip on the modual so I used the two sided tape clip and microphone wand. So far it holds really well, I cleaned the helmet where it was going with some alcohol first. Again the wires just lay under the pads and speakers are stuck there with sticky backing. You don't feel or notice anything while wearing the helmets. Set up is simple, push of one button will connect both headsets. Once you pair your phone with the Bluetooth it will automatically pair your phone every time after that just by turning on the unit. The speakers a very loud and clear listening to music is great and talking to one another sounds perfect.
It's nice to know what each other is thinking it makes for a less stressful ride. It's easy to talk my wife through things that she would get stressed over, hill climbs, road crossings and just to know if we need a break. Makes riding a whole different experience.
March 2, 2015
Purchased F5MC to upgrade my original F5
I've been using my Interphone F5 for 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it. I've done many many files with it, but I wished for a longer battery life. Recently I've decided to upgrade to F5MC due to longer battery life and several other improvements over my original unit..
I used my newly acquired F5MC on a recent week long bike trip and I can confirm that the battery life is spectacular, It lasted all day long without any problems.
Also the quality of the connection between other F5 devices is excellent . At high speeds(85mpg), the voice of the other person is still clear and around 70 mpg is just excellent.
For a full face helmet, just turn off the auto volume feature, otherwise you will not get the full volume. I used my F5MC in a 4 full duplex mode and it works very well, and the wind cancelling software does a good job of eliminating all of the unwanted noises.
August 11, 2014
Even better than my original F4
Upgraded from the original F4 that I bought when they first came out. Love it.
July 21, 2014