Icon Airframe Construct Helmet
best bang for your buck.
The helmet vents very well. The noise level is kind of high, but not bad. The helmet runs kind of small. For example I'm usually a medium and opted for the large which fits perfect. Overall great helmet for the price.
December 2, 2013
Overall a great helmet. Had to return the first one and buy a size larger because it fits fairly tight. Haven't ridden with it for more than 90 minutes, but feels fine for that amount of time. Cools down quickly with vents open, but can also be very loud especially at highway speeds.
November 21, 2013
commuters should reconsider the Airframe
The Airframe in my opinion is an excellent race helmet, but fails for a number of reasons for daily commute or long-haul rides.
1. this helmet is tight. the strap is about an inch shorter as well. After one year of use it doesnt really "loosen up." if you have glasses, they will start to become painful after an hour of riding.
2. this helmet is loud, despite the chinskirt. the 20mm top airducts, while a blessing on a hot day in traffic, will roar on the highway and must be closed. Even with earplugs this helmet is noisy.
3. At 70mph the chinskirt can exacerbate the aerodynamics of the helmet, creating a rather unnerving vacuum. The front vent may be open, as well as the top vents, however most of the air is being drawn back down through the neck. this makes for generally laboured breathing.
4. the chin, as with most race helmets, comes up nearly 1" higher than its counterpart the alliance. not a pro or a con here, just something to be aware of.
5. the air-foil atop the helmet is wonderful for taking high speed corners and blasting down the racetrack. it resists buffeting, but is a horrible idea for commuters and long riders as it makes it brutally hard to turn your head and check a lane before merging.
6. the field of vision is about 20% narrower than the alliance.
in my opinion commuters and longer riders are going to be happier with the alliance. the helmet is larger, more plush, and offers a much more luxurious field of vision. The weight difference between the airframe and the alliance is not appreciable.
July 1, 2013
The Icon Airframe Construct is an excellent helmet. I really had a tough time deciding between this and the Icon Alliance helmet. All I can say is wow I am glad I choose the Construct. Its form and fit are right on with what Revzilla says about the Airframe. The helmet is extremely comfortable and a lot lighter than I expected. I think the price point is good for a helmet that comes with two shields as well. And another note is that per the Icon documentation not any two of the construct helmets looks identical as the fiberglass weaving is different on each one, so its good to know that these helmets are very unique. Overall a great purchase and worth every buck!
May 9, 2013
A little wind noise but not too loud. Great airflow to keep your head cool during the hot days.
February 25, 2013
cool, comfy, priced right
Pros: True to size, great value, airflow, vents easy to close.
Cons: Pivots break easily, visor is hard to get up when locked.
Overall I think this is a great purchase. I bought the reflective gold visor with this and it's a cool helmet that looks cool. Would definitely recommend.
February 4, 2013
Excellent air flow!
Very stylish and well made. I really liked the style and I bought it partly for looks. I lucked out that it was a very well crafted helmet. Be aware the shape is slightly roundish. Get the right size. It's an excellent spring-summer helmet because the air flow is great, but that also seems to make it a little noisy. The cheek pads that came with it were pretty tight, so I sprang for a smaller set. They too were tight, so my wife did a minor, magical sewing alteration and viola! They were just right. I have the tinted visor, but usually wear the Airframe Construct with a clear visor and it accommodates sunglasses okay - a little tight. The visor is a pretty quick change. The bandage-like surface is perfect understated irony. A very fine helmet for the price.
November 6, 2012
Good sport oriented helmet
The fit for me is excellent, and very comfortable. The airflow seems quite ample, to the point of too much air in cooler weather with everything closed. This is of course up for negotiation, not everyone rides at temperatures around freezing. The review of the helmet says flat out that there is a lot of airflow, and that is correct. At higher speeds the helmet is very stable, and seems most stable from a 3/4 to full tuck. I have not worn the helmet in warmer temperatures as of yet, but I am sure it will be fine. Only put a 4 for protection and durability, because like everyone I only anticipate discovering the eventual durability of the helmet.
November 5, 2012