e-Tint AX-10 Auto Tint Faceshield Insert
I have purchased this product and when I received defective condition , revzilla replace with the new stuff , but it turns out I received with the same condition , I think this product has not been feasible For sale , this time I was waiting for the replacement item but the type that is more new , ax11 may already perfected this type
August 30, 2013
Great convenience, works as expected
Being able to switch from clear to tint at the touch of a button is just very convenient. Before I carried a clear visor with me, but like most I pushed "just a little longer" because I didn't want to stop to switch visors.
I had an issue with separation of the layers creating bubbles on the visor. I called CS@revzilla.com, they immediately started the process of replacing the insert. I had also called the maker and they sent a UPS pick up slip. I sent them the visor and they are replacing the insert and will install it. I couldn't ask for better customer, both from Revzilla and AMI Powersports (manufacturer)
October 29, 2012
Great idea, not ready for production.
Very cool to show off to your friends as long as they don't actually try to use it.
1. Does not function at all at night. It adds an extremely noticeable light diffusion effect which basically makes you blind from the light of oncoming traffic or bright street lighting. I am not exaggerating - I had to ride with the visor up to get home safely while I was testing this at night.
2. It fogs up very quickly when temperatures decrease and really aggravates the light diffusion I described above.
3. After it fogs up, the inside surface becomes very sticky and difficult to clean and makes even day riding unsafe until thoroughly wiped.
4. There is a noticeable amount of visual distortion near the edges which becomes noticeably worse when the visor deforms slightly from the wind at high speed. Similar to what happens when you touch an LCD with your finger.
5. It does not cover the entire visor and the sunlight entering through the gaps on the sides really hurts the eyes since pupils are dilated from less light coming from the front.
6. Extremely overpriced. I understand they need to recover the R&D costs, but @ current price, the product should be flawless and yet it fails to deliver on nearly everything it advertizes.
7. It only provides about the same amount of tint as a light smoke insert so if you're riding in full sunlight, this will not provide enough tinting.
8. Battery does not last. It delivers maybe 30% of the charge the company advertizes and it seems to discharge even if not in use. It refuses to turn on after 2 days of sitting on the shelf in off mode.
9. When the battery depletes during use, it blinks repeatedly for about 3-5 seconds and turns off. Very disorienting if you don't expect it.
To summarize, its a great idea but the company completely fails to deliver a production ready unit. I hope one day this technology becomes standard on all helmets, but its not ready yet.
October 10, 2012
eTint AX-10 Visor Insert
Was easy to install, I had a new Shoei clear visor, in a bag, as I was using a dark tinted visor on the helmet. The eTint worked as advertised, although I found a couple of sections, while riding, where the visor flashed between dark and normal, like someone was flicking a light switch on and off repeatedly. I guess the light sensor was struggling between modes. I cured this by altering the angle of my head a little. I did use it in manual mode as well and that was easy, just one touch of the button on the front of the shield. On my Shoei Qwest, you end up with about a 1/4" area that is not covered by the e-Tint insert, but this did not bother me.
I would have given it a 5 star if it tinted a little darker.
June 18, 2012
Nice product but daytime only
I've used mine for about 1000 miles now - and it is quite nice during the day. When it's not real bright during the day having it off is nice. However, i do run a lot of longer days and night driving and i found it very visually uncomfortable for night driving. Maybe it's all the layers, but it creates a large Halo around every light that you see at night - and it's very discomforting and tiring. I finally had to remove the shield for night riding. If you take day trips, you'll really like it. If you want to keep it on for long trips that include night riding - not so much.
Day rider only? = 4 stars.... Night Rider = 1 star
April 26, 2012
Excellent job of tinting screen.
I have now done some testing of the e-tint visor insert and have to say I love it. Even when it is not turned on it reduces the UV rays and reduces eye strain. I don't find it obtrusive at all. The cool thing about the auto mode is that you can set the threshhold it switches at. In my case I have it set to tint at a very low setting. It doesn't darken quite as much as the tinted visor it replaced but it is dark enough that there is no eye strain.
For people who are thinking of using it on a dual sport helmet like the fly trekker helmet it works great. It doesn't cover the entire screen but doesn't get in the way either. it covers the most important part of the screen and works great.
I have taken away 1 star because my screen has an issue. It doesn't flash when charging and sometimes it will not power on. I have to plug the USB cable into it and unplug it and it starts working correctly again. I have a faulty unit. other than that it is a great product.
March 12, 2012