Arai Defiant Asteroid Helmet
Third time's a charm. I guess my head has grown. After ordering an XL, then a 2XL, I finally found a 3XL that fits my noggin. Great helmet, fits perfectly (finally). Highly recommend.
May 18, 2015
Know What This Helmet is Good For...and not!
Bottom line right up front: I think this is the best possible helmet you can buy for very hot weather. If you have a 'helmet collection' it would be a perfect niche helmet to add. If you are looking for an all season, all around helmet, I think there are much better choices.
What this helmet is great for:
* this thing ventilates like MAD! When it's a hot day, this is the only go-to helmet for staying cool. Check it out: eyebrow vents, 2 slider vents on top, an ENORMOUS vent right in front below the shield, another huge slider vent in back, plus an air exhaust port at the bottom of the helmet.
* Great wide vision, and it's really fun to try out different Arai custom color face shields or change them out for different conditions. I like the mirror the best, personally.
* For a large size helmet, it is very comfortable and super lightweight. It feels like nothing on your head....awesome. And it fits well.
* Arai reputation for safety makes you feel secure. Plus there are always a lot of great designs for Arai helmets. Also Arai makes their helmet very 'serviceable' -- spare parts are readily available such as extra cheek pads in different sizes, etc.
Now for the drawbacks:
* 3 great big logos ....a bit much perhaps, even for brand fans.
* The chin strap is old school webbing and D-ring...no soft nice comfy non-scratchy material (like Schuberth).
* This helmet is quite large. I have the Medium and it's much wider and taller than a Shoei or Shuberth C3Pro. (It's the only one that won't fit in my top box). I realize that the dimension is probably due to Arai's safety commitment, and it's light and comfortable, and looks good. It's just BIG.
* Now for the biggest issue: I figured out why this helmet is so very loud on the highway. I didn't really notice it too much on side streets but my first time on the freeway, it was so noisy that I actually exited to take it off and put in my earplugs. This helmet is designed with no 'curtain' (if that's the right word) which other helmets typically have just below the chin. Usually this piece can be removed for hot weather, at the expense of some increased noise, but with the Defiant, it's just not there. The good thing is that this only contributes to the amazing air flow of this helmet, which you'll appreciate in hot weather. the bad news is that when you need it to seal up (a chilly morning, or going on a longer highway trip) you may miss having that piece seal up the bottom of your helmet.
So in summary, this is a terrific hot weather helmet, but I don't think it has the flexibility to be your go-to all year lid.
May 17, 2015
Wow, what a great lid
I've always loved Arai so I'm nothing like an objective, unbiased reviewer. I recently picked up a Signet Q based on what I *thought* was my head shape - apparently Arai and I disagree on the definition of long oval, which I've been seeing a lot of on other Signet reviews. A local shop custom-fitted a Defiant for me and the difference between it and the Signet was night and day. Spirited (ahem) riding on my R1100RT with the windshield fully down was blissfully smooth and quiet (but I do recommend good foam earplugs with any lid), great airflow, excellent visibility, and the most comfortable padding I've ever felt aside from my beloved old Quantum.
Simply the best helmet I've ever owned in 20+ years of riding, period.
May 17, 2015
Very Impressive Helmet
My previous helmet was an Arai Vector. It was about 5 years old and it was time to upgrade. I immediately noticed the improved ergonomics on the Defiant. The padding is more compliant, the field of view is improved, there is more room for my ears, and it is so much easier to put glasses on while wearing this helmet.
I was one of the many people who was wearing the wrong size helmet. I went from an Extra Large to a Large. I spent a great deal of time researching helmets and the Revzilla video reviews had the best information. I went to two shops to try on helmets and they both fit me with an Extra Large again. Neither place used a tape to measure my head. The videos on fitment were much more helpful than the people in the shops.
I have a few hundred miles on this helmet now, and it is breaking in nicely. It still feels a little tight, but the area around the top of my head now fits much more solidly in the helmet. For safety and long term comfort this is essential.
I'm very happy with this purchase. I ordered the helmet on a Monday about 10:00 AM, it was at my door the next day before noon. That's Amazing! I would not hesitate to purchase another helmet from Revzilla.
April 30, 2015
Not a bad helmet for safety and noise, terrible styling
This was my first helmet in several years. Came highly rated and I was looking forward to it. Not a bad helmet all in all. Very safe and some decent features. Extremely quiet. Good for keeping down fog. The fit is true to size. But the styling is terrible. It wasn't long until I realized I looked like a Lego man. The thing is just a big cylinder. If you're not concerned with looks at all, I highly recommend this helmet. I just put this thing to bed though after a year, in favor of an AGV. The AGV is less durable and noisy, but is safe, has great features and just looks sick.
April 28, 2015
My Favorite Helmet!
I picked up this helmet because I had seen that it was designed specifically for the naked bike rider and I'm extremely happy with them. First off, the style is absolutely perfect for the naked bike and fits my Dainese gear or Revit Ignition 2/Sand 2 combo perfectly to form the ideal riding look. Features wise, this helmet flows a ton of air with the vents open and keeps the shield from fogging up too. I barely feel the helmet when I'm riding at high speeds and that is the testament of a well-made lid! I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone, you won't be disappointed in the functions and the style.
April 22, 2015
Great fit and finish
I have an Arai head
I don't look at other helmets
Great fit and comfort with top notch protection
Expensive, but it protects your head.
April 9, 2015
I bought this helmet to replace my Arai Vector. I was initially looking to buy the Vector 2, but this helmet seemed to have a more aggressive look that will compliment my cruiser and sport bike. Comparing it to my old helmet, it's quieter and the pin lock system is great.
March 17, 2015