AGV AX-8 EVO Flagstars Helmet
Excellent Dual Sport Helmet with a Visor
I have been using this helmet for quite a few months now, I mostly ride dirt these days on my DR-Z 400 or KLR 250. But I also have a V-Strom 650 and I use this helmet for all my riding, regardless of conditions.
If you want a lightweight comfortable helmet for dirt and/or adventure riding, and you want it to have a visor, this should be your helmet of choice. It is incredibly comfortable and lightweight, provides awesome protection and field of view, and does not compromise your ability to wear goggles if you should feel the need. I find that I just use the visor because the helmet works very well with the visor and even when I am riding technical single track I just roll with the visor down. If it's very hot and humid where you live, you may want a helmet with better ventilation.. but you'll loose some of the street-ability of this helmet. It does an excellent job as a DOT dirt helmet and as a adventure helmet. If you are going to go for a long distance ride over 50 mph you should pull off the sun visor so that the helmet isn't pulled around by the wind, regardless it is a very good helmet even at high speeds (especially if you run it naked.)
Buy it, you won't regret. I tried the cheaper afx helmets first and they had defects right from the factory. Thanks revzilla for your excellent exchange policy.
October 8, 2015
Almost a great helmet
This could be a great helmet, but it has 3 annoying problems:
1. The visor rubs the gasket, causing scratches that are visible in my peripheral vision. Many reviewers have already pointed this out. It's annoying but not a deal-breaker by itself.
2. The peak vibrates in the wind, causing a low frequency vibration that seems to get transmitted directly into my skull. Earplugs to nothing for this, and it's very fatiguing. I haven't noticed any other reviewers complaining about this, but it's a major problem for me, and I've been avoiding this helmet for day-to-day use as a result.
3. The cheek pads have no cutouts for speakers/intercom. Is this an adventure helmet or what? I don't like the idea of having to cut into the lining on an expensive helmet.
Other than those issues it's a great helmet -- stylish, good finish, great airflow. A little noisy, but that comes with the territory. The peak is functional, and catches less wind than the Arai and Fox helmets I've tried (aside from the annoying vibration). The lining is comfortable, and the helmet is light for what it is. I like that the peak and visor can be removed independently from each other, and the visor works fine with goggles.
AGV just needs to fix those three issues and they'll have the best adventure helmet as far as I'm concerned.
September 11, 2015
Do Not Buy
I chose this helmet, wanting a wide field of view and light weight - and in those departments, it doesn't disappoint. However, the face shield has a very loud, annoying whistling sound. If I turn my head to the left or right, it will stop, but it's a little hard to ride this way. Kinda goes w/o saying.
I sent it in to Revzilla, and they told me that AGV "does not warranty against road noise." Sorry, but whistling is a defect, a basic design flaw with the helmet - not simple road noise.
For this reason - and the overall cheap feel of the helmet, I cannot recommend strongly enough - NOT buying this junky helmet. It's a huge waste of my money.
June 29, 2015
The black/gray/red color scheme is a perfect match for my red and gray bike, and the overall styling of the helmet is stunning.
I tried a medium (58cm) which was my head circumference, but the helmet seemed very tight on my face (I have a square jaw) and was exceedingly tight on my ears (big ears, too). It also seemed to ride high on my skull, at the back. Large is preferable.
Note: the faceshield does not open wide enough to allow you to fit glasses in without some inconvenience. Consider the tinted shield if you need sunglasses. Ventilation can also be improved with the AX-8 mesh chin vent.
May 28, 2015
Comfortable, quiet, and has great visibility. Was concerned about the visor when head checking before buying but it has not been a problem. I'm thinking of buying another in another color!
April 27, 2015
loved the helmet, it didn't love me
Style, weight, features all great. If you have a square jaw line (think JFK) this may not be the helmet for you. The cheeks I expected to be snug. I must have tried this helmet on 3 times in hopes that it was my imagination. The pressure on my jaw bone was not imagined. Additionally I felt pressure on the top back of my head. Between those two pressure points, it was enough to dissuade me of keeping it. I normally wear a long oval hat. Maybe this helmet is a short oval. I was sad the fit was not proper.
April 8, 2015
(+)'s & (-)'s
Revzilla's support, timeliness, and expedited delivery was (and continues to be) spot on! Anthony's review helped me narrow my choice down to this helmet be AGV - great job in providing all the details!
Let me start by saying I like the styling, design, comfort, and light weight of this helmet and I look forward to its utility for adventure riding on my 2015 R1200GS ADV! I deliberated on which "KoolAid" to drink from after wearing a full face helmet for >100,000 miles of tour riding: modular or Dual Sport styles. I really wanted modular and nearly did, but the deal breaker was the visor (which can come off rather easily and stores in my tank bag for road-trips and put back on once you travel off the beaten path). There are definite advantages to modular, but I couldn't pass this helmet up for its value!
- the quality (paint, lining, retention strap, and ventilation (mostly)) is outstanding
- the fit is perfect (normal shaped noggin') based on AGV's measurement and sizing chart
- very quiet - probably because the ear padding touches and "seals" off the ear from wind noise and the chin piece has a cover that can easily be removed if desired (I decided to keep mine in for winter riding, will likely remove it when the temps warm up)
Cons (these are what prevented me from giving it a 5-star rating)
- no space for speakers for my Scala Rider (bummer) - this has caused me a little delay in determining how to mount the ear speakers without cutting into the padding; I haven't tried to mount the mike yet either!
- the face shield fogs up HORRIBLY even with the chin vent fully open! Went on a ride in the mid 30's to mid 40's on a clear day and I wondered why it was so blurry through my shield.....it had, actually, formed droplets!!! There is no "happy medium" to prevent the fogging except to let the cold air flow into the helmet through a partially opened face shield. I've owned two other full face helmet brands that never had this problem! I haven't checked to see if AGV has fog-free shields for this model yet - I may have to resort to "Rain-X No Fog" to coat on the inside of the shield if there is no coating to damage if applied.
- a minor gripe is the limited positions afforded for opening the face shield - I wish it could be a friction-type or one with smaller notches
- the face shield requires more-than-usual force to open and it isn't a very "smooth" opening when you do open the visor
February 3, 2015
Italians do it better!!
Very nice , super comfy! Very very light! Great style and perfect in the details. Very recommended!!
January 22, 2015