AFX FX-120 Hi-Viz Helmet
Year and a half long review
I have been using this helmet everyday since I got it in December 2013. Despite the shortcomings of this helmet it does say something positive about it.
- The cheek pads constantly fall out and need to be re seated. Maybe it's just mine, I dunno. They are just held in by friction under the bottom lip and the helmet foam. Kinda hokey.
- The visor clarity SUCKS. You get used to it after a while but with the visor up one notch it's super wavy right in the center...
- The helmet is extremely loud, earplugs are a necessity at anything over 30mph. My Biltwell Gringo helmet is quieter on the highway.
- No chin curtain at all, which adds to the noise
- The flip down visor isn't very clear and the bottom pokes out a little when not deployed.
- The vents don't do much and the plastic breath guard is worthless. Its flimsy and will fall out just by looking at it.
- The air fit system is a gimmick, it's cool at first but I would rather have it fit right the first time.
- Quite heavy, you could club someone with it.
- No speaker pockets. I have an SMH-10 on mine anyway but the speakers smash against my ears and it gets painful after a while.
- The light colored interior will look GROSS before long. I tried taking it out to clean but was such a PITA to re-install I wouldn't recommend it.
- Bang for the buck! Tons of features for the price.
- The flip down visor is invaluable, even though it's hazy
- Comes in a wide variety of colors, mine is white and the metallic is nice.
- It's a sharp looking helmet
- Good airflow, but not from the vents (from the lack of a chin curtain).
- Air fit system? Someone may like it.
- DOT and ECE certified
- Ratchet chin strap!!!! So awesome, I'm totally spoiled by this feature. Being able to take your helmet off and put it on with gloves on is so convenient. Mine has held up fine, no issues there.
Overall, you get a lot for your money but it will make you want a better helmet with those features. I would give a half hearted recommendation for those who are on a budget and would like some nice features.
July 8, 2015
Unusuable. Gives what you pay for.
I love the fact that this comes in hi-viz orange. Everything now is hi-viz yellow. But it has far too many faults:
- The visor keeps popping out of one side when you open it fully.
- View is distorted through the visor when down and SEVERELY distorted if you crack it open like i like to.
- All the parts are removable BUT that means they fall off whenever you so much as touch them.
I'm afraid I'll have to return it.
May 15, 2015
This is actually a positive review.
I want to say right off I like this helmet. For my oval/intermediate-oval head it is hard to find a decent cheap helmet that fits. This helmet in the large fits just perfect.
The helmet is also feature rich, though the features are not executed very well. The important thing to remember is bang for the buck, you are getting a great lid for the price.
Okay, so here is the bad part. It is a little flimsy. The snap lock chin strap will most likely not stay connected when you need it most, one clip already stripped down enough not to hold any more. the strap is also kinda set far back, so it rubs uncomfortably against your neck.
The rubber around the shield that is supposed to cut wind noise is so cheap that it whips at speed making a loud flapping sound. worse than the very loud wind noise itself.
The sun block shield stops returning to all the way up after a couple of ups and downs. You'll find yourself opening the windscreen to push it up the rest of the way, or else you'll have these two little tinted nubs in your periphery while you ride. they are also a little oddly shaped for me, but I have an odd head I guess, I'm going to have to take a dremel to it at some point.
I haven't used the pump up system yet because it still fits like new, but I don't have high expectations for its rigidity.
All that said. it is the best fitting helmet I've ever owned, and certainly the most stylish. I just wish they dropped a feature of two and just did fewer better.
Would buy again, would recommend... but you'll need earplugs.
September 30, 2014
Simple cheap helmet
I got this helmet because I work 3 pm to 11 pm and was sick of switching my shields on my Icon helmet and wanted something with an internal sun visor. I was looking at a scorpion and this one and for what I use it for it works great. It is a simple design, nothing flashy or over the top and the sun visor works with no issues.
I do have some complaints however the biggest one being that the breath guard that came with it was far too large and was uncomfortable so I took it out (simple enough). The other complaint that I have is that the visor doesn't seem to be nearly as clear as my Icon, but is nothing that worries me by any means. I guess the helmet is a bit loud, but I only use it for in town riding and wear ear plugs anyways, it is nothing that is too annoying. Lastly I feel like the helmet is a bit short front to back wise, my mouth is almost touching the front while the rest of the helmet fits perfectly.
Complaints aside not having the double D ring system is fantastic, I can get in and out of the helmet at least 3x faster than my Icon. I also really like that the stock internal sun visor is a dark smoke where you can't see through it.
Overall I would give this helmet a solid 7/10 just based on features and price. No it isn't a racing helmet or the most comfortable helmet ever made, but that is why it is under $150, it does a simple job quite well
July 18, 2014
Horrible distortion making the helmet useless.
My first review on anything, but I felt compelled to warn folks about this product. The distortion on the shield on this helmet makes it dangerous to ride! I made a huge mistake by removing all of the tags after only being worried about the fit (which turned out to be okay), so now I can't return it, which I would have in a flash!
To properly judge distance I have to raise the shield which makes no sense for riding. Never had this issue with any other helmet in the past, so now I'm out the $130 bucks! Also, the manufacturer shield protective sticker leaves a remnant on the shield which can be seen in sunlight at a certain angle which indicates that the material is very cheap.
I've contacted AFX for a possible solution, so I will update my review if they step up and stand behind their product and assist me with this very dangerous product.
May 31, 2014
Ambitious but lackluster
I got this replacement helmet as a replacement for my AFX-DS39 helmet from my AFX after I went down in my old helmet. I like that the company stands behind their product and giving out replacement helmets after a crash is very generous. This helmet has potential and ambition to be high-end (with features like the chin spoiler and sun visor), but I ultimately it falls short.
One of my biggest complaints is that the gasket doesn't seal well and I have so much air coming and my eyes that it can be hard to see at speed. Also, my large Italian nose touches the chin bar, very uncomfortable. Fit is super snug, but it better after breaking in.
As for what I like, having the drop-down sun visor has been very nice, and is my favorite part of the helmet. The closures on the vent also seem high quality and are much more durable than my last helmet.
Really, you get what you pay for with this helmet. I think it's worth paying a little more and getting something that is a better product.
February 26, 2014
decent starting point
bought this helmet as my first street bike helmet. I loved the wine color so i jumped on it, but the color ended up no where near the picture. Its more of a apple red. Also my only other complaint is that the face shield fogs up very quickly so I had to do something about that because I didn't find an anti fog replacement. Also i never used the sun visor either. For the price though I couldn't complain, its comfortable and does its job.
February 13, 2014
I can't recommend this helmet
The comfort level on this helmet, is horrible. The padding must be the cheapest I've ever used. The features are nice, and they work well, but the shield had a horrible distortion, and so did the sun visor. I'm keeping the helmet for passenger riding, but I caved and bought the RF-1100 Transmission by SHOEI, while the closeout is going on.
February 4, 2014